Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by robertwa

Dave,

I see you worked at Merillon Ave. station back in 1972. I can't believe that small station buiding ever had a station agent!

I use the Merillon Ave. station almost every day. It's the only one nearby that has free non-resident parking, but you have to get there real early. Ever since Mineola doubled the price of meter parking last year, the Merillon Ave. parking lot usually fills up by the 5:58 AM train. The 7-11 is still there, as is the lack of toilet facilities :-D

Bob Andersen

by Dave Keller

Hi Bob:

Free parking would, I guess, be a big draw!

Years ago, commuters with the option to use Patchogue, Port Jefferson or Ronkonkoma chose Ronkonkoma, as parking was free there at that time. Patchogue required a Village of Patchogue or Town of Brookhaven (can't remember which) paid parking permit. Port Jeff required a paid village permit as well. As a result, Ronkonkoma became a parking nightmare with a mile walk (+/-) from the furthest end of the parking lot to the depot!

I don't know what was worse about working Merillon Avenue: lack of toilet facilities or lugging that huge, awkward and quite heavy portable ticket office onto the train at Mineola, off the train at Merillon and back onto the train again for the return trip to Mineola!!

So, the 7-11 is still there! Wonder if my cup is?

Dave Keller.
  by fender52

You should tell everyone of the dress code back then if you remember.

by Dave Keller

The only specific dress code that I can recall for the ticket clerk position was dress slacks with shirt and (I believe) tie. No uniform of any kind required and nothing that indicated you worked for the railroad.

I DO recall that facial hair was limited to a mustache, trimmed to the edge of your mouth. Nothing allowed beyond that.

As a Special Services Attendant we were required to supply our own black pants, black shoes (shined), black tie and white shirt. The LIRR supplied a cheap, non-descript, ill-fitting blue jacket with 2 buttons. The jacket had NO identifying markings of the railroad or your position.

I thought it was kind of cheap and a poor image for the railroad when the trainmen all got to wear an identifying uniform and while we, too, had to be members of the UTU and pay our dues, got to wear junk. Hence my going to the trouble to obtain a trainman's cap and Special Services Attendant badge to wear. No one on the LIRR ever gave me any trouble about it, probably because I told them Willie Wilson gave me the badge!

Dave Keller