Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by alcoAL

I mentioned in an earlier posting about slides I had of #606 wrecked in Huntington. Well I found a slide scanner on Ebay & here are a few of them.
The wreck was Thu 8/25/88 and the photos are from Sun 8/28/88. I don't remember the details of the wreck other than the train hitting a bulldozer on a trailer stuck on the crossing. Anyone have more details to add?

by alcoAL

by alcoAL

Not sure what's in the fuel tank, a fence post or a pipe from somewhere.

by NIMBYkiller

Is it just me, or are those M1s being hauled off by an MP15 on the far right of the last photo?

by alcoAL

That's #9366 and a coach #2704

by LIRRNOVA55

wow!. . . them pullmans are built like tanks comparred to the M1

by UN Block

alcoAL,

Great photos! Do I presume correctly that the grade crossing in question is Park Avenue, first crossing east of Huntington? That looks like the Kleet Lumber siding in the background and the high-intesity lighting along the South Siding Extension.

by NIMBYkiller

HOLY $#!^!!!!! That M1 is gone!

by Long Island 7285

well thats the FRA's safety standard of the modern world.

the pullmans were older then the M1's in '88 and they still held up like tanks on a battle feild. that car pictured above was a worlds fair car also i beleive.

by M1 9147

I have 6 pics of the wreck also. What a sad sight that was!

by jayrmli

For the person that asked what that was sticking out of the fuel tank, believe it or not, it was the third rail!

A retired LIRR engineer showed me pictures of the wreck years ago. Unbelievable carnage!

Jay

by bluebelly

Long Island 7285 wrote:well thats the FRA's safety standard of the modern world.

the pullmans were older then the M1's in '88 and they still held up like tanks on a battle feild. that car pictured above was a worlds fair car also i beleive.
Though I have no doubt the the Pullmans are stronger,you cannot tell from the picture what inflicted the damage to each car, so it is an unfair comparison. For all you know the M1 pictured was smashed into by the 606 as it flew off the rails and the Pulman shown ran into the back of the coach ahead of it or got rearended by the coach behinded it. If that is the case then you are comparing apples to oranges. Of course it is also possible that the Pullman ran into the M-1, in which case you would be correct.

by jayrmli

For the person that asked what that was sticking out of the fuel tank, believe it or not, it was the third rail!

A retired LIRR engineer showed me pictures of the wreck years ago. Unbelievable carnage!

Jay

by Long Island 7285

that does look like a 3rd rail now that i look at it.

and as for that M1 I ment as on over all point, that there like tin cans compered to the pullman cars, dont get me wrong, im shure with the right force that the pullman cars would get in worse shape.

by Fla East Coast Chris

2704 and 2711 were in Morris Park downstairs for a long time . They were the 2 seriously injured zip cars from the accident. I remeber seeing them when I was a car cleaner up in Richmond Hill yard. I have a news 12 clip on VHS video if anybody wants to take a look at it get me off line and make a trip to see it with me in my secret place.(NO IT IS NOT IN POMPANO BEACH!!!) The clip shows the aftermath with then President Bruce McIver.
**** To Pelican Puss(you know who you are!!! Yes I am back!!!!***
Chris(not low carb anymore!)