Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#18409  by LIRRNOVA55

where can i find pictures of 193 ( the plow ) and w83 ( wedge ) wroking, i seen the ones at arrts archives and trains are fun, i asked this at the old forum but didnt get a good responce, any ifo greatly appreciated

fyi, i think ima cry after seeing this picture http://www.nps.gov/stea/Collection/NCRS0193.HTM
Last edited by LIRRNOVA55 on Sat May 08, 2004 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#18412  by jayrmli

For the rotary, check Ron Ziel's books Steel Rails to the Sunrise and The Long Island Rail Road in Early Photographs. Both have pictures of the rotary.

Jay

#18413  by LIRRNOVA55

do you know where i can purchase this book?

#18445  by Retroboy

I got my copy of The Long Island Rail Road in Early Photographs at borders in a bargan bin for 50% off

#18522  by Paul

I clicked on the link and noticed the words "non contributing structure". Does this indicate that Steamtown has written this piece of equipmwnt off and have no plans to do anything with it? If so, then she needs to be removed from Steamtown and returned to one of the groups on Long Island, or sent somewhere else where it will recieve proper care.

#18526  by LIRRNOVA55

i compltly agree with you paul, QUOTe from that link "Degradation from vandalism, exposure, and lack of upkeep have compromised the original structure to such an extent that this equipment is non-contributing. " that shows how much steamtown cares about there pieces, i think 193 should be brought home and restored, ill do once i get my lawsuit money cuz steamtown is gus gonna let it rot away to ashes
look at how she usta look

to what steamtown didi by not caring
Last edited by LIRRNOVA55 on Tue May 11, 2004 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#18570  by BEDT16RMLI

We have a copy of Steal Rails to the Sunrise out at the Railroad Museum of Long Island in Riverhead

#18655  by Dave Keller

Here's #193 in service in Patchogue Yard in 1921.

Hey, Guys! Watch those blades!

Dave Keller

#18756  by JoeLIRR

Yes... SAVE THE COOKE ROTERY. BRING HER HOME, if we really want her we WILL MAKE ROOM FOR HER!!!

#18772  by LIRRNOVA55

NICE pICTURE! THOSE BLADES GOTTA BE SPINNIN LEAST 150 RPMS WHILE NORMAL WORKING IS 90 SHOWS IT S A TRUE WORKHORSE.
IF WE WANT HERE THERE PLENTY OF ROOM TO PUT HER, IF I MUST ILL TAKE THE TRUCKS OFF AND OUT IT IN MY BACKYARD!
I MUST SAY THO, SINCE SHE WAS BUILT IN 1898 SHES NOT IN tHat BAD OF A CONDITION

here she is brand new ( i think ) Image

this is my favorite shot Image

#18808  by Paul

If I am not mistaken, the rotory blades turn about 100 rpm max. Back in the day, film speeds were slow and a grey snowy day would require a long exposure. I am sure the gentlement in the picture were posing while the photographer took the picture so they would not motion blur. Also, the "as new" photograph shows a PRR style Sunbeam headlight, so I would say it was taken sometime in the early 1920's. Yup, she needs to be back on the Island.[/code]

#18830  by RRChef

There is no doubt to the historical importance of the Cooke Rotary. It is one of 2 pieces of LIRR equipment that deserve to be returned to the Island(in my opinion and I will let you all think what the other piece is)and placed in the hands of a group that can cosmetically restore it.

To set the record straight, the National Park Service and the Steamtown Foundation are not responsible for the present condition of 193. That is the fault of the previous owners(and many of you know who they are)who allowed the rotary to sit in a field at the Black River and Western for 20 years without any attempt at preservation or conservation. If Steamtown and the NPS didn't step in when they did , 193 would more than likely not be here today.

I had the opportunity to inspect the unit in the late 80's. The exterior pictures do not tell the full story. The interior is missing EVERYTHING. It would be impossible to locate replacement parts because of the rarity of the unit and to fabricate the parts(if at all possible)would be costly. Most of the floor boards are rotted out and trees were growing thru several sections. When I looked at the boiler, there were several visable holes.
Add all of this to the archbar trucks and the prospects of 193 running again are non-existant.

It is common knowledge that Steamtown has no intent to restore or display 193. It is also known that they might be willing to let it go. However, the best place for 193 right now is at Steamtown, until a well thought out restoration plan can be presented. The last thing that needs to happen at this point is for 193 to fall into the hands of an individual or group that has no clue of what they are getting into.

#18839  by LIRRNOVA55

point is she belongs home, if she does and pasrts can be lococterd over time but for now i would jsut paint t, fix the floor, patch the boiler, and just put fogged out plezi glass in the windows to make the outside presentable
stemtown did help but look at the flanger and wooden plow in bac of it , ther dying a slow painful rotten away death. i give them a few years and they be gone, ther best piece of rolling stock it hink they have is the cars in the roundhouse,i think steamtown should start taking care of there cars cause after there gone- there gone for good, and the DL&L wedge plow but its still used to clear the line.

#52368  by scopelliti

To find Steel Rails to the Sunrise, just check on ebay. There's one for sale right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4132&item=2269816772&rd=1

Has anyone checked out the site http://www.emachineshop.com ??? It allows you to design virtually anything and have it machined. From their website:
eMachineShop is the remarkable new way to get the custom parts you need - the first true online machine shop. Download our free software, draw your part, and click to order - it's that easy! Your part will be machined and delivered. Even better, your cost is low due to the Internet, software, and automated machines.
Not saying you could reconstruct the entire car, but it would seem to be useful for some restoration parts.

I have no connection with the site, never even used it, but it sure sounds like an interesting product. Especially for folks who need a few critical parts that are made of unobtainium.