• Leasing out the Oyster Bay branch

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Marge s

Todays Newsday front page headline is "Coming soon Transfer At Mineola" .This seems like they are making the operational changes necessary to lease out the branch.They will spend taxpayer and rider money on equipment and infrastructure . Then,a couple of years down the road give it away in a sweetheart deal to a politically connected patron. Of course this is just speculation as we all know politicians would never lie to us.
  by keyboardkat

I don't know about the leasing part of it, but didn't they try the "transfer at Mineola" bit some years ago? The OB train was kept at Queens Village, and followed the EMU connection into Mineola. Apparently that didn't fly. It meant tying up one of the express tracks at Queens Village to store the train. And of course, since the third track at Merillon Avenue has no exit switch at the east end, it would be awkward to keep the train there. Too many backing moves.
  by lirr42

Truncating the Oyster Bay branch to Mineola has come up every now and then, but most of it is hearsay with little factual backing coming from the MTA. There is currently one train (train 500) that dumps passengers off at Mineola for them to transfer for an electric train, but I hear even turning that one train is cumbersome.

There has been talk on occasion of building a third stub-track and platform at Mineola for the sole purpose of turning Oyster Bay trains, if that actually comes to be is yet to be seen, but I personally think the Oyster Bay branch is safe as it is at least for the next decade or so.
  by SwingMan

501 is the train that ends in Mineola, as they need the equipment for 509 so they quick turn 501 in Queens for 3502.
  by freightguy

Seems like a stretch, they would have to procure new equipment(DMU'S). The Brooklyn service I think was proposed in a capital plan for the new platform for the shuttle service. Most people desire a one seat ride. Seems like the LIRR is going against the grain. If people have to transfer even more I could see this as more of a deterrent. That's probably the difference with Metro North service. A lot of diesel trains are a one seat ride from the outlying areas to Grand Central. I think that's where the LIRR dropped the ball not using more diesel direct service into Penn with the dual modes.
  by lirr42

I agree with you Mr. Freightguy. While lots more dual mode service to Penn might not be possible due to track and equipment limitations, the LIRR could definitely boost its services to Hunterspoint Avenue and Long Island City. At least bring people closer to where they want to go. If I have to get on the subway anyways when I get to Penn I might as well just continue to ride to Hunterspoint Avenue and avoid the whole Penn fiasco all together.

LIC and HPA could well be equated to Hoboken Terminal on the other side of Manhattan. Look how well that station does even though people have the option of trasnfering for a train straight to Penn. It’s just a shame the LIRR has let these stations dwindle to their current status, but then again this is the LIRR we are talking about!

Hunterspoint Avenue could be Long Island's gateway to Williamsburg and Greenpoint...the 21st Av (G) station is just a 3-4 minute walk from the HPA station and you're right in the middle of Brooklyn in a little while.
  by freightguy

Use HPA here and there. My favorite beer cart and mainline gem the 529 to KO reside there. Riding the double deckers I never realized how stable they are compared to the rocking M7s.
  by NH2060

Truncating any existing Jamaica-Oyster Bay runs (with no intention of extending them to HPA or LIC) at Mineola is not exactly a bad idea. Why have trains that require a transfer anyway take up precious slots between Jamaica and Mineola that could be used for additional *electric* Port Jefferson, Ronkonkoma, and Montauk branch trains that are sorely needed; AFAIK the Floral Park-Hicksville segment if the Main Line is pretty much at capacity as it is with the Hicksville-Ronkonkoma segment in need of a second track for future service/ridership growth (which is therefore dependent on capacity being available west of there). If there is room/if room can be made in Mineola for a pocket track (on the north side of the Main Line with the Main St. crossing closed) that would connect to the SB track on the branch that could accomodate a 3-4 car shuttle (similar to MNR's Danbury Branch shuttles at South Norwalk) then that would not only open up more slots for Main Line trains, but would also keep shuttles from fouling up the Main Line at all; This is similar to what ConnDOT has selected as the preferred alternative for a Devon Jct. station for Waterbury Branch shuttles. Furthermore this would allow for a quick turnaround to run more service. Better to have more frequent 2-seat rides than fewer rides at all.
  by Amtrak7

The slots cleared up are more than those actually used by the trains, as the Oyster Bay merges into the main line at grade and trains have to be held up to allow it to pass.
  by inthebag

A Mineola-OB scoot service would definitely necessitate a north-side pocket track at Mineola. Trains should be able to access both mainline 1 and 2, so you'll see the same thing that happens in Huntington with PJ connections.

Simply extending OB trains to HPA/LIC doesn't increase service on the branch. By turning Mineola-OB into a scoot service, the railroad can increase service, save money by using fewer crews and increase its operational flexibility by using less equipment and having more track capacity for something like a Hicksville local to connect with the OB scoot.

However, I do agree with you that more transfers is worse for the riders.

But assessing the pros and cons of an OB shuttle really just makes it more painfully obvious that a third track from Queens to Divide would solve this problem and many more.
  by onorclose7

They are looking to get rid of LIC & HPA not increase service, although it could be used to bail them out many times. Once they gave away the Lower Montauk it meant that LIC & HPA aren't far behind. The real estate alone in LIC is worth a small fortune. I am sure that Marge would be more than happy to sell it off.
  by bellstbarn

With the current leadership and political connections of the LIRR and MTA, I am gullible to conspiracy theories. I can understand that someone fed up with the constant complaints of the new rich inhabitants of dockside Long Island City would sell the LIC terminal for more condos.
----
Also, since we depend on the LIRR front office for ridership numbers (and they sometimes spin info rather than report straight), I deeply suspect the low numbers reported on Brooklyn trains. People work and live near ENY, Nostrand Avenue, and downtown Brooklyn. When fares were mileage-based, Penn Station rides were more costly, and lower Manhattan workers rode the Interborough to Wall Street.
  by Nasadowsk

inthebag wrote: But assessing the pros and cons of an OB shuttle really just makes it more painfully obvious that a third track from Queens to Divide would solve this problem and many more.
It's not going to happen. Get over it.