Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by gaspeamtrak

What is with train #60 being so late today. It arrived in Toronto from Windsor as #60 on time. So what happened while the train was sitting in Union Station. It is showing as over 4 hours late in as and ETA. in Montreal!!!
What is going to happen to the passengers who were connecting in Montreal for Halifax and the Gaspe trains...
Check out the todays and yesterdays trains on on Vias website and there were, are some awful delays!!!
Whats going on.
Train #668 from yesterday was over 3 hours late at Dorval!!!
Sorry my questin mark key is broken!!! :(
  by Ken V

I haven't heard the reason for the delay to train 60 from Toronto today. Yesterday's #668 was held at Toronto Union Station for more than 3 hours due to a trespasser being killed by a GO train shortly before its scheduled departure. Train 668 later struck and killed three teens after leaving Dorval and never made it to Montreal.
  by timberley

I don't know why, but 60 was over 2 hours late leaving Toronto, then was stopped in Brockville for about 2 hours. It was subsequently J-trained with 64 heading to Montreal.

The word was that passengers with connections to Trains 14 and 16 east were being bused to Charny to meet the trains there. I'm glad I wasn't on board today!
  by gaspeamtrak

I forgot another late train was The Canadian Departing at 7:00am on friday morning if I recall correctly. It was supposed to leave Thursday night at 22:00.
There was a travel advisary notice on Vias home page stating this.
Was there weather or freight train interferance or maybe mechanical trouble with the eastbound Canadian coming into Toronto.
  by marquisofmississauga

Number 1 due out Saturday at 22:00 eventually left Toronto at 08:30 Sunday according to a VIA employee at Union Station. The delay to inbound #2, due Saturday at 09:30 and arrived near midnight, was a CN freight with a broken wheel. I have been unable to find out where, but the best information I can get is somewhere south of Capreol. It has been reported that the late #1 arrived in Winnipeg Monday only 5 1/2 hours late and was expected to make up more time as it certainly doesn't take four hours to service the train there.
  by Montrealrail

Ken V wrote:I haven't heard the reason for the delay to train 60 from Toronto today. Yesterday's #668 was held at Toronto Union Station for more than 3 hours due to a trespasser being killed by a GO train shortly before its scheduled departure. Train 668 later struck and killed three teens after leaving Dorval and never made it to Montreal.
I went to see the accident scene in Montreal,5 minutes of walk from my place,3 young boys was killed,and two other escaped from death,but they have been hospitalized for a nervous chock,..
one day after,CN police caugh 4 more peopples in the same tunnel where the 3 boys was killed in Montreal,under Turcot highway exchanger..

Locomotive involved in Montreal's accident was 6414...
  by ohioriverrailway

marquisofmississauga wrote:Number 1 due out Saturday at 22:00 eventually left Toronto at 08:30 Sunday according to a VIA employee at Union Station. The delay to inbound #2, due Saturday at 09:30 and arrived near midnight, was a CN freight with a broken wheel. I have been unable to find out where, but the best information I can get is somewhere south of Capreol.
If sourh of Capreol, hat would have been less than 400km to Toronto. Guess there wasn't any feasible way to bus the riders. Does anyone know what they do for food service with a delay of that magnitude -- seems like the riders would have liked lunch and dinner!
  by jp1822

ohioriverrailway wrote:
marquisofmississauga wrote:Number 1 due out Saturday at 22:00 eventually left Toronto at 08:30 Sunday according to a VIA employee at Union Station. The delay to inbound #2, due Saturday at 09:30 and arrived near midnight, was a CN freight with a broken wheel. I have been unable to find out where, but the best information I can get is somewhere south of Capreol.
If sourh of Capreol, hat would have been less than 400km to Toronto. Guess there wasn't any feasible way to bus the riders. Does anyone know what they do for food service with a delay of that magnitude -- seems like the riders would have liked lunch and dinner!
VIA likely had provisions onboard to feed passengers in the diner(s) or perhaps they had someone deliver food out to the train from Sudbury or someplace similiar along the line!
  by twolfe

A CN freight wheel damaged (quote) "a couple of hundred feet of track" (told to us by a MOW crew from Washago) #1 was late (don't I know it!!) was waiting for it at Washago since 23:30 on the 30th, finally pulled in around 10:40 on the 31st to pick us up. A very cold night spent in the "shelter". We made up the time, only spent 1 1/4 hr in Winnipeg and were on time pulling into Edmonton. Lucky bonus for us, we passed over the Perry Sound bridge in daylight.

Terry
  by dorian cro

I never knew that in VIA exist so often and big lates.. By us , in Croatian Railways (Europe) we have only one double-track line on main corridor ( two parallel tracks ), and by us late is normal situation, because on 90% lines there is only one track for both directions, so many trains are scheduled to stay on some station that have more than one track over 10 or 20 minutes , 'cause of train from opposite direction... so, if opposite train lates, that creates late for train who stay to wait him... Are in VIA all lines have tracks for both directions?