• Late January Storm 2015 Shutdown...

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by lirr42

Commuter X wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:17 million is chicken * , they saved that in law suits alone by shutting down.
Thats a nice way of looking at things.

Another way to look at is that this is why our taxes and fares to ride public transportation are so high
Part of the MTA's issue with money is that they trivialize large sums of money and don't bat an eye when that money is wasted. $17 million is a year's worth of monthly commutation tickets for 5,132 zone 7 commuters... Not an insignificant sum.
  by lirr42

The LIRR has announced that they expect train service to resume around noon today on the electric branches. It appears that revenue trains have once again began rolling in electric territory and along the Oyster Bay Branch, though there has been very little information flowing out of the LIRR over the last hour.
  by LongIslandTool

Most people were at home, where they were instructed to be.
There is where we differ. A free people are not "instructed to be at home". They are free to be wherever they wish to be. If that is waiting on a late train making its way though the snow to see their girlfriend, it's their choice.

When the government takes control of a public transportation system, it does so with the understanding that it will provide for the needs and desires of the taxpayer, not the other way around.

But I suppose The Tool lacks the proper instruction.
  by freightguy

Newsday has a picture online of "Darth Vader" being shoved by NYAR geeps east of Ronkonkoma near Knickbocker Ave.
  by Head-end View

I've been listening to Divide Tower on Channel-3 all afternoon and evening. The only trains I'm hearing are Huntington trains (77XX numbers) and it sounds like they're all being turned at Hicksville. Like nothing's going further east. Haven't heard any Ronkonkoma train numbers (80XX) at all. I'm having a hard time believing that even now there is no service east of Hicksville......
  by lirr42

LongIslandTool wrote:
lirr42 wrote: Most people were at home, where they were instructed to be.
There is where we differ. A free people are not "instructed to be at home". They are free to be wherever they wish to be. If that is waiting on a late train making its way though the snow to see their girlfriend, it's their choice.

When the government takes control of a public transportation system, it does so with the understanding that it will provide for the needs and desires of the taxpayer, not the other way around.

But I suppose The Tool lacks the proper instruction.
In this country, at least, there are limits on people's freedoms. You're free to the point where your actions do not jeopardize the rights or the well being of another person, and one of the government's primary responsibilities is to lookout for the well being of its citizens. For that reason, we have laws put in place to ensure that does not happen. You are not free to kidnap someone, and you are not free to run somebody over with your car. You are also not free to selectively pick and choose which laws or orders from the government you wish to comply with. You may not agree with Cuomo's decision here, but he was the one that the state's population elected to that position, so his views and his discretion is the one that the majority of the people in this state agree with, so he's in charge.

Driving out on the roads, or even driving to the train station to catch a train to see their girlfriend, subjects that person, as well as anyone else who might be out around them, like emergency responders trying to get someone to the hospital, to a substantial risk of injuring or killing themselves or another person. A person, 'free' or not, is not permitted to do that.

While I am not one that is quick to agree with this state's governor, particularly on transportation issues, I think in this case, the numbers speak for themselves. While I do not recall off the top of my head the specific numbers mentioned by Cuomo and Bellone earlier today, they did mention that there was an extreemly low number of stranded vehicles/vehicular accidents, and a steep drop in 911 calls after the travel ban went into effect at 11:00pm. If you contrast that to previous storms where there were images of dozens upon dozens of cars stranded on the LIE with people trapped inside them and 911 call centers overwhelmed, I would say that the travel ban was a notable success.

Like I said to Mr. ThirdRail before, I'm not sure how much pride you would have left over if you ran a signal because visibility was so poor during a blizzard, or your train got stranded in the middle of a forest someplace and one or more passengers fell severely ill or died due to the conditions. Something like that hasn't happened yet--and the railroads have been very lucky during severe weather--but that's no reason to tempt fate.

And, it's worth adding that, at least as of this morning, there were no reported deaths due to somebody being out in the middle of the blizzard. I suppose Mr. Tool might be upset because the storm wasn't able to knock off some of us "soft and lazy" people to make more room on this island for the big and strong railroad workers...
  by lirr42

Head-end View wrote:I've been listening to Divide Tower on Channel-3 all afternoon and evening. The only trains I'm hearing are Huntington trains (77XX numbers) and it sounds like they're all being turned at Hicksville. Like nothing's going further east. Haven't heard any Ronkonkoma train numbers (80XX) at all. I'm having a hard time believing that even now there is no service east of Hicksville......
Near-normal service was operating to Ronkonkoma, Babylon, Long Beach, and Oyster Bay by the early afternoon. Hempstead and Far Rockaway service was back up shortly thereafter, along with hourly service to Hicksville and Port Washington. However, there were sporadic and short-notice cancellations on most branches due to a variety of reasons. There was no train service east of Ronkonkoma on the Main Line, Babylon on the Montauk Branch, Hicksville on the Port Jefferson Branch, and the West Hempstead Branch for much of the day. It sounds like service has since been restored as far as Patchouge on the Montauk Branch.

The LIRR is expecting to operate normally tomorrow with the full complement of trains, with the only exceptions being morning rush service east of Ronkonkoma and East of Speonk.
  by lirr42

freightguy wrote:Newsday has a picture online of "Darth Vader" being shoved by NYAR geeps east of Ronkonkoma near Knickbocker Ave.
I heard reports of it venturing out on the Main Line earlier this afternoon and that it set out going east along the Montauk Branch not long ago.
  by SlackControl

lirr42 wrote:
freightguy wrote:Newsday has a picture online of "Darth Vader" being shoved by NYAR geeps east of Ronkonkoma near Knickbocker Ave.
I heard reports of it venturing out on the Main Line earlier this afternoon and that it set out going east along the Montauk Branch not long ago.
Any pics or videos of this rare phenomenon?
  by bellstbarn

In younger years and living in the city, a day like today, with brilliant sun and snow, invited photography. However, after a couple of falls on ice over the years, I'm going to have to wait for more secure footing to get the photos I'd like! Oh, well. Glad to have power and heat in the house. Joe
  by SwingDog

@lirr42 -- Must every disagreement end up with an envious sarcastic criticism of railroad workers? whats wrong with you? Put in a resume already! i know i know, you're too smart to work for the railroad. guess ur right, and it shows: some peep need to be told when its safe to come out from momas basement.
  by Commuter X

Using the European Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) instead of the U.S. Global Forecast System (GFS) to forecast this week’s weather in New York proved to be a big mistake, costing NYC (conservatively) some $200 million. So I guess the European model isn’t necessarily superior to the American model after all

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/ap/business/n ... t-s/njx7J/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by scopelliti

Whoa there.. when did we expect weather prediction to be incredibly precise and accurate? Midtown missed 30 inches of snow by less than a hundred miles. There is no forecast tool known that can be that precise. Better to be safe than sorry. Image if they had predicted ten inches and we'd gotten 30? People would be screaming for the heads of every weatherman.
  by Head-end View

Listening on the scanner to Divide Tower the last 2 days, they keep announcing to every train something like "Rule 6-46, 14-04", or maybe it's "15-04"; hard to tell. I've never heard this before the last few days. Can anyone tell us what that's about?