Railroad Forums 

• LATC; Los Angeles Transit Center

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#264932  by pennsy

Hi All,

Probably one of the best places to visit would be LATC, Los Angeles Transit Center. It started off, in 1939, as Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal, LAUPT. Then it transitioned into LAUS, Los Angeles Union Station. Now it is LATC, Los Angeles Transit Center.

The building is an historic site. Really high ceilings, and tremendous hanging fixtures. Lots of restaurants and watering holes. Many upholstered seats for waiting for trains. Trains ??? Amtrak, Metrolink, Red Line, Gold Line. At one time it was called a Terminal. However, the Gold line is being extended towards Little Tokyo and eventually Pomona. Now it is a through station, for the Gold Line, not a terminal. Overpasses and ROW are under construction.

The building itself is outstanding. The North side was originallly where the RR companies sold their tickets. Now it is a sealed off area, used only to have reserved meetings and as a Movie Set. Many a movie, motion picture has scenes shot there.

At present; tracks 1 & 2, the Gold Line, LRV system. Tracks 3 thru 9 Metrolink commuter lines. Tracks 10 thru 12, Amtrak. However, during rush hour Metrolink shares Amtrak tracks. Tracks 12 and 13 are usually set aside for freight. Very busy place, especially during rush hours.

Leaving thru the main entrance you find yourself on Alameda St. Cross the street and you are in the Olvera St. complex. This is where Los Angeles began. If I remember correctly, Ciudad de la Reina de Los Angeles. Loosely translated; City of the Queen of the Angels. You can deduce the references. Nearby is the world's newest Cathedral, Roman Catholic, Cathedral of the Queen of the Angels. This further reinforces the references. One gorgeous Cathedral, by the way.

In short, the LATC is one classic, beautiful, old, historic, very busy, RR station, as well as bus station. If you are in the area, it is a "must see" place on your itinerary.

#265293  by pennsy

Hi All,

One thing that I might also mention, complain about, since it probably is not that uncommon these days, is the condition of the Rest Rooms.

Seems that when the north end area, that area that used to be for ticket sales and now is used for Movie Shoots and sites, was used, the Rest Rooms in that area were clean and spotless. When that area was closed to the public, the Rest Rooms in the other areas had to be used. Last time I was there, these Rest Rooms were in disrepair; one stall in each was boarded up and could not be utilized, and one even had wet floors. You had to be careful how you walked in that Rest Room. According to my lady companions, the Ladies Rest Rooms were not much better, and the lines were unacceptable. One also had a wet floor. Is this a sign of the times, or what ???

#265409  by inkyrail

Don't get this confused with Union Pacific's Los Angeles Intermodal Facility, also called LATC or "The Shops".

#265539  by pennsy

Hi Inkyrail,

That is a new one on me. I realize that LATC (LAUS) is surrounded by small yards and repair shops. A buddy of mine works at the Taylor Yards. Engines and Passenger cars are worked on there. The yard you are referring to, I believe, is across the LA River, and is near the Metrolink San Bernardino Line tracks. Really large facility with over head cranes that can take containers off flat cars and place them on tractor trailers. Usually find lots of UP, and ex-SP engines waiting there. As I remember it, you don't see anyone hustle there, things move rather slowly. By comparison, a relative works the docks at San Pedro, and does the same thing with trailers and containers. According to him, things really move over there. Lots of action, before your eyes. He recently lost his company's pickup truck. It had an argument with an 18 wheeler that was backing up. Fortunately he wasn't in it when it happened. He now has a new pickup truck, thanks to his company.

#265702  by inkyrail

Yup, that's it. Right near the junction of the UP Alhambra Sub and the Metrolink River Sub down the east bank of the river. They do a lot more at East L.A./Commerce or ICTF, but they build a few Z trains there at LATC.