• Last Stop Cold Spring Harbor

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Kilgore Trout

I've been reverse-commuting to Hicksville lately; the sparse evening westbound schedule offers ample time to observe comings and goings in the Hicksville area. I noticed that train 1256 terminates at Cold Spring Harbor.

Being rather unfamiliar with LIRR operations, I find this puzzling. Why CSH, of all places? What happens next? Does it run light to Huntington and become a later departure? Or does it go straight to the yard?
  by Backshophoss

Most likely deadheads to Huntington to layup on that yard track past the station
  by gamer4616

1256 is scheduled to spin on the North Side Track (siding west of the station in Huntington) and head back west as 4259, a non-passenger train to Jamaica.

There is limited track space at the time in Huntington.
  by Head-end View

Isn't a 1200 numbered train supposed to terminate at Hicksville? If it runs as a revenue train to Cold Spring Harbor, wouldn't a 16-1700 (Huntington) number be more correct?
  by Kilgore Trout

gamer4616 wrote:1256 is scheduled to spin on the North Side Track (siding west of the station in Huntington) and head back west as 4259, a non-passenger train to Jamaica.

There is limited track space at the time in Huntington.
Hmmm. Looking at the schedule more closely - at Huntington, 1730 terminates at 6:34, 664 passes through at 6:45, and 1732 terminates at 6:51. 1256 would arrive at 6:53 or so, if it also went to Huntington. I can see a concern that even a couple of minutes of delay could throw off the whole operation. So this being a result of the available track space makes sense. Thanks!
Head-end View wrote:Isn't a 1200 numbered train supposed to terminate at Hicksville? If it runs as a revenue train to Cold Spring Harbor, wouldn't a 16-1700 (Huntington) number be more correct?
I only started this commute after the January 8th schedule change - perhaps 1256 formerly terminated in Hicksville but was extended to balance something else affected by the schedule changes?