Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MetraBNSF

Metra says so long to its rail saloons
Bar cars are home away from home for many commuters, but space is needed for other passengers

By Richard Wronski | Chicago Tribune reporter
11:47 PM CDT, August 26, 2008

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... 7827.story

Every weekday at 5:17 p.m., the bar car on Metra's Milwaukee District West line becomes the place where everybody knows your name and they're always glad you came.

With beer and wine cups in hand, a cast of characters that seems straight out of "Cheers" tries to make the daily commute home as merry as the sitcom.

"It's happy hour on the rails," said Kevin McHone, 40, an information technology engineer from Gilberts and a bar car regular.

But just as every TV show eventually ends its run, this Friday will be last call aboard what Metra officially calls its "refreshment cars."

The commuter rail line has decided to shut down its rolling taverns, ending an era that hearkens back to the days when executives in gray flannel suits climbed aboard club cars and lubricated the journey home with martinis.

There are 10 trains with bar cars running on Metra's Rock Island and Milwaukee District West and North lines. There were more refreshment cars years ago, but Metra has been phasing them out as contracts with vendors expired. The last contract runs out this week.

Until now, Chicago and New York were believed to be the only cities where riders could still buy a drink aboard a commuter train, the American Public Transportation Association said.

Transit agencies are concerned about what happens after passengers who have had a few drinks hop into their cars, said Mantill Williams, an association spokesman.

Last year, New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority considered banning the sale of alcohol on the Long Island Railroad and Metro-North commuter trains, but dropped the plan.

Room to grow
Metra said concern about alcohol isn't the issue. Rather, the bar cars aren't worth the revenue they produce—just less than $100,000 a year. With growing ridership, the agency is trying to maximize its space and equipment, spokeswoman Judy Pardonnet said.

"We know at times the bar cars can be very crowded. If we eliminate them, we can allow people to get through [to less crowded cars] more easily. Some people avoid going into the bar car," she said.

The bar cars aren't for those who want a quiet ride home with a book or a laptop. A party atmosphere often prevails.

The regulars on the 5:17 laugh heartily as the jokes fly. Riders carry on conversations across the seats and aisle. For a long time, a running poker game was conducted on a makeshift card table spread across the baggage rack.

"I come to the bar car so I can be loud, obnoxious and have a good time at the end of the workday," said Chris Laracuenta, 39, of South Elgin.

"These people just want to be around people who are lively and not reliving the workday or dreading going home or whatever it is," he said. "Some people go to happy hour. We go to the bar car."

Laracuenta, who gripped a bottle of water, emphasized that he wasn't even a drinker.

A special bond
In fact, during a recent ride on the 5:17, socializing was more evident than drinking.

Many have been riding the 5:17 and enjoying the bar car for decades. Passengers have gotten to know each other so well they invite the others to holiday parties in their homes. Train crew members are invited too.

"We go to weddings, retirements," said Michelle Handrigan, 39, of Elgin. "We're like family. If somebody is gone for awhile you worry about them. We have each others' phone numbers."

Except for maybe the decibel level, Metra's bar cars aren't much different from normal commuter cars.

The bar is nothing more than a serving counter on one side of the vestibule. Patrons can either stand there or go back to their seats, drinks in hand.

On this particular run, bartender Steve Franck served up beer ($2.75), wine ($4.25), small bottles of mixed drinks ($5.25) and snacks while working his way home from his regular job downtown.

Passengers enter at either end of the car, rather than through the vestibule doors, which don't open.

Metra says the configuration of counters and coolers in the vestibules inhibits the exit doors, and new federal regulations require these doors to be operational at all times for safety reasons.

Be your own bartender
Metra's decision won't mean the end of the line for commuters who like to imbibe on their way home—not by a long shot.

Passengers still will be allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard, except on certain blackout dates such as St. Patrick's Day and New Year's Eve, when many riders often are inebriated before climbing aboard.

Disappointed passengers have begun a last-ditch e-mail campaign to Metra, said Linda Glienke of Streamwood, who rides the bar car on the 4:50 p.m. Milwaukee West train.

"We're all upset. It's like cutting off a limb," said Glienke, who worries that a social network is being threatened. Riders on her train organize a Cubs outing that attracts 90 people.

The decision to close the bar car is going to hurt Metra, McHone said.

"Everyone comes in here," he said. "The car jams up all the time. That's very dumb. They're hurting themselves."
  by doepack

Metra wrote:Metra said concern about alcohol isn't the issue. Rather, the bar cars aren't worth the revenue they produce—just less than $100,000 a year. With growing ridership, the agency is trying to maximize its space and equipment, spokeswoman Judy Pardonnet said.

"We know at times the bar cars can be very crowded. If we eliminate them, we can allow people to get through [to less crowded cars] more easily. Some people avoid going into the bar car," she said
Huh? The bar cars only take up space in the vestibule, they aren't actually located in the seating area. Eliminating the bar cars isn't going to do much to add capacity, it's not as if fewer people are going to be on the train...
Metra wrote:Metra says the configuration of counters and coolers in the vestibules inhibits the exit doors, and new federal regulations require these doors to be operational at all times for safety reasons
There's the real reason for the "last call"...
  by Illinifan

The side doors of former bar car 7304 are now operational. It was at the front of a nine car Milwaukee District West Line set. People can now board the car from both sides. That is the only converted coach that I've seen so far.
Last edited by Illinifan on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by AMTK347

I've seen the bar cars behind the locomotives on NCS trains
  by MetraBNSF

The party rolls along in Metra's old bar cars
Rolling happy hours maintain a schedule with help from riders

Lisa Black Local observer

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 5185.story

February 19, 2009

Though Metra's official bar cars are gone, Carter Hoyt (center) and other fans of such rail-going festivities have kept the parties on their feet and on schedule. (Tribune photo by E. Jason Wambsgans / February 12, 2009)

Happy hour never really ended on Metra, even after the train company stopped selling refreshments onboard.

It has been six months since last call, and you can find the same regulars enjoying the camaraderie, boisterous atmosphere and, yes, booze, during their commute home from Chicago.

With Metra's approval, the riders have simply changed the rules to BYOB.

That's what I found when I stumbled into a former bar car recently and was promptly offered a beer. Someone else was pouring cranberry juice and vodka into little paper cups and passing them around, while others ate chips.

People hopped from seat to seat, catching up on the day's events, grousing about work and asking about one another's families. Soon the scene began to rival a sports bar in decibel level and spicy language, except that a conductor occasionally popped in to collect tickets.

It was like a sociology experiment, or reality TV show, I decided, shrinking low in my seat and realizing there was no way I was going to get any reading done.

I knew that the old bar cars had been third from the train's tail end on some suburban lines, including Milwaukee District North, West and Rock Island. There was no mistaking them. Most Metra cars are funeral parlor-quiet, where an occasional cell phone ring is enough to draw dirty looks.

I took the Milwaukee North line home at a different time last week and discovered another group of bar-car regulars. They call themselves the 4:40s because that is the time their train departs Chicago. They made clear their distinction from the 3:55s, whom they described as rowdy construction workers. The 5:15s are a whole different bunch.

The 4:40s included insurance agents, a union carpenter and a grocery store meat manager.

Again, vodka and cranberry juice appeared. (Is that the official North line drink or what?)

Only on this day, Steve Whitehead forgot to bring cups.

Whitehead, 50, of Wildwood, cut the top off water bottles and used the remaining lower portion as cocktail glasses, an accommodation that he seemed to take pride in.

Someone else brought beverages in a cooler and was making sure everyone in the car was happy.

Dan Williams, 51, an insurance agent, said he has been riding the train for 31 years.

"They counseled me through my whole divorce," said Williams, now a single father.

"I've seen a lot come and go," he said of his train friends. "Right now, with the economy we have seen a few people no longer ride. They lost their jobs."

Unofficial train mom Doreen Mach, 51, of Round Lake, tries to keep things cheery. She often decorates the car for birthday parties and holidays, saying that over Christmas, the friends filled two car seats with pizza, cheese and crackers, chip dip, cookies and candy.

"These are my buds," said Mach, who often sticks to juice or water. "It's a big part of my social life."

She has warned newcomers that the group can be loud and politically incorrect. One woman sat next to Mach and assured her she wasn't bothered. Yet, "I don't think she made it to the first stop," Mach said.

When asked if anyone has caught flak at home for their bar-car shenanigans, one man scurried away. Everyone laughed at the inside joke.

I got off the train at my usual stop with mixed feelings. Some seemed to drink a bit too much, too fast. I wondered if they planned to drive a car home in that condition.

But for most, the bar car seemed a welcome and safe release after a long day at work.
  by doepack

99 responses to this article on the Trib website as I type this. I just don't understand why so many folks are so mean and judgmental... :(
  by Tadman

I've found newspaper comment sections to be a lightening rod for internet tough guys. If you think about it, there's no moderator to stick his/her head in and get the discussion back on track, keep politics out, and boot troublemakers. Further, the troublemakers that can no longer make fight-starting flame comments at forums like this one need to find a place to cause problems - they head on over to an unmoderated newspaper comment space.

If you check out any of the stories at Northwest Indiana Times, the comments on the South Shore's expansion sound like they came from a Munich beer hall rally in the early 1930's. Not only are people rude there, they are searching for people to flame and blame.
  by F40CFan

I just saw 7303 as a straight coach.
  by Engineer Spike

When I worked the BN trains, we never had refreshment cars. I remember that the news stands had a big tub of beer and soda in the hallway leading to the escalators down to the platforms. Therefor, BOYB was in practice. There was one holiday weekend when the B.N.P.D. was standing on the platforms with big wheeled garbage cans. I guess they were afraid that the crowd would be rowdier than normal!