Railroad Forums 

• Landed a MOW job!!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#147768  by Guest

Looking forward to hard labor and long hours
LOL! If you see someone out of breath on the railroad, either call 911, because they must be having some type of medical emergency or follow them, because something is on fire.

Congrats on your Maintenance in the Way job!
-r

#147820  by PChap

Make sure you have comfortable boots because you'll be standing in place for long hours.
 #147822  by Gnu

Good for you brother. Hard work and long hours is about right. I've been in at Union Pacific for 6 months as of tomorrow. Listen closely to the old heads and expect to take a little crap from the rest. Oh Yeah..Safety Safety Safety if that hasnt been pounded in your head yet. Don't hurt yourself or anyone else "no mental vacations". Get familiar with the FRA book. (Federal Railroad Administration). You can read it on their website if you wanna get familiar. You'll hear all of that Monday. Best advice I can give in my worldly 6 months of MOW is Have fun and dont be afraid to laugh at yourself.
Good Luck To You:

#148151  by Guest

Do you MoW guys work regular shifts? Or do you have to deal with the whole extra board type stuff?

-r

#148156  by AmtrakFan

Congrads!!! Hope it goes well.

#149653  by Gnu

We work 5-8's or 4-10's and Compressed halves which is 8-10's and 7 days off. the second 2 shifts are for system gangs though. We are subject to calls 24/7 though and they happen quite a bit.
 #152453  by freightguy

Congrats on your new welding job! What shortline do you work for in NJ? You should follow in your grandfather's footsteps and come across to the LIRR to weld. They pay their MofW forces very well and your chances of getting furloughed are slim to none! Good luck with your new endeavor!