• Lake Shore On-Board Fire

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

I learned of this reviewing another board.
http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=2450309

I would guess the train involved is #48(18); obviously the car in which a fire most likely would occur is the Diner.

I believe it was reported here at another thread that there is one Lake Shore consist without a diner; sounds like the ante has been raised to two.

It will be my luck that 49 (25) will have an affected consist.

by Otto Vondrak

I keep telling everyone that the LSL is a hot train!

(Sorry GBN, couldn't resist.)

-otto-

by RMadisonWI

The car involved was dorm car #2522.

Robert Madison
  by Gilbert B Norman

If the incident is attributable to employee smoking, this will not be the first car damaged from such. Lest we forget Superliner Sleeper 32010 was lost during 1982 from just such an incident. The car was barely over two years old.

by RMadisonWI

One article suggests an electrical fire. The baggage car may have also been damaged in the fire. Unknown disposition of the contents thereof.

Robert Madison

by capltd29

THe last thing Amtrak needs is to lose more equipment.

by AmtrakFan

Yes the Baggage Car was on Fire they were unable to remove belongins that why I don't check my Baggage on the Train I agree with Mr. Vondrak the LSL is a Hot Train Sorry Mr. Norman but I had to agree with Mr. Vondrak. Also they could lose 2 Reffers also what Train was 32010 Lost on and where did it happen Disclamer I was born about 8 Yrs. After That.

AmtrakFan

by RMadisonWI

They're not going to "lose" two reefers. The dorm, baggage car, and two refrigerated cars were left at the scene (the dorm/baggage cars in question would have been in the New York section, which operates at the rear).

Because of the fire, they couldn't simply set out the dorm, but had to cut it and pull away. Another news article says the fire was contained to one car. In any event, the ExpressTrak cars were not in any danger, there's just no way the train could have gone back to pick them up.

Robert Madison

by EMD455

If you have the Bandwidth, watch the video clip, shows fire fighters cuting into the roof, I'd say more on this, but I posted this on RailForum.com, and I remember in the Faq on RR.net that you cant post a topic that already belongs to another forum, or something like that

by RMadisonWI

EMD455 wrote:If you have the Bandwidth, watch the video clip, shows fire fighters cuting into the roof, I'd say more on this, but I posted this on RailForum.com, and I remember in the Faq on RR.net that you cant post a topic that already belongs to another forum, or something like that
Wish they would quit calling it a lounge car.

I'd wager a guess that 2522 is a scrap.

Robert Madison

by efin98

9 hours battling the fire has to have done way too much damage to the car for it to be usable again, I doubt there is anything left inside other than a charred floor with plenty of holes.

On a related note, watching the video of the car reminded me of the Capital Limited/MARC train incident 8 years ago. I remember seeing similar images of what the fire fighters were doing on the outside and it looked like tactics learn in the Maryland tragedy paid off for fire fighters in the Lake Shore Limited fire. The fires had different outcomes, but to me it looked like some good came out of a tragedy.
  by jp1822

I suppose another Viewliner will be pressed into service in order to replace the Dorm Car.

by RMadisonWI

If they had another Viewliner, that might be the case. More likely is that the crew will have to take up revenue space in the existing cars. That "Heritage Replacement" order can't come soon enough.

by usa4624

Has anybody found any photos on the web of the dorm car in question?