• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by trackwelder

the line was severed at slateford junction, where it joined the old lackawanna main.
  by ns3010

I assume there's still no progress? I haven't driven by in a while now, and I won't be back in Jersey for a couple months now, so the updates are on you guys now :-)
  by bucko

Looks like the project has been put on the back burner (the NJT project sign @ Brooklyn Road has long been removed)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The weeds are back too.
  by morris&essex4ever

TBH, NJT has much bigger things to worry about than rebuilding the cutoff.
  by Matt Johnson

morris&essex4ever wrote:TBH, NJT has much bigger things to worry about than rebuilding the cutoff.
Such as?
  by morris&essex4ever

Matt Johnson wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:TBH, NJT has much bigger things to worry about than rebuilding the cutoff.
Such as?
MOM, Northern Branch, capacity issues into NYP, portal bridge replacement..... All of those would benefit far more people than rebuilding 7+ miles of track to Andover.
  by northjerseybuff

As previously stated MOM is not happening for a LONG time. Northern Branch will happen and is happening. But you gotta remember NJT can't take money from one project and out it for another one. NYP and Portal are Amtrak issues. Andover will happen. We all know it won't happen till Dec. So enough with the theories. NJT is not taking money from Andover to build MOM. It just doesnt work that that way
  by blockline4180

December 2012??? I hope you don't mean they will start running trains in December! They MIGHT start laying more tracks in December, but I was told the Sierra Group and another Environmentalist wacko group is trying to stop NJT from further progress due to a wetlands problem encroaching on the ROW.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the 7 miles getting completed any time soon until NJT starts construction again!
  by OportRailfan

northjerseybuff wrote:... NYP and Portal are Amtrak issues...
...that NJT will probably contribute to significantly. How many trains does NJT run vs. Amtrak via the NRT's to NYP?
  by amtrakowitz

But this thread is about the Cutoff. Not about NJT's impropriety when it comes to running excessive numbers of trains on a railroad not designed for it.
  by Dcell

The tunnel near Andover is in extremely bad condition. Unstable rock, requiring lining of the tunnel with concrete over rebar. The pricetag for this project just rocketed upward, money which NJT dos not have. The project rumored to be on hold for reassessment.
  by amtrakowitz

Dcell wrote:The tunnel near Andover is in extremely bad condition. Unstable rock, requiring lining of the tunnel with concrete over rebar. The pricetag for this project just rocketed upward, money which NJT dos not have. The project rumored to be on hold for reassessment.
Thanks for the rumors. Makes us hungry for the facts.
  by Tommy Meehan

Fwiw Transit says it is not on hold for any reason other than the environmental review.
  by northjerseybuff

WOW now I know why cruiser had all his sarcastic remarks. DCELL. You are 2 months late with your post. I took the time to email/call NJT. The tunnel is not an issue. Environmental issues are delaying it. You will see work later this year and in 2013.