Railroad Forums 

• KRM (Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee) Commuter Rail

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#581354  by superbad

KRM? What is presently going on with this proposal? As always there are a million different stories on the progress of proposed commuter rail lines, but this one is desperatly needed.
 #583001  by superbad

it would be nice to see this project happen.. maybe the chicago-milwaukee area can see some different equipment for once:-)you can only see so many gallery cars... I can see some wild colored bombardiers running on the UP-N line..
 #586850  by twoaday

In the coming months you will be hearing more on this project as it hasn't been dropped. And that a couple tweaks to the funding arrangement may make some sort of a new funding souce work.
 #604497  by twoaday

Yes that plan will no go to the state legislator to be put in the budget. Which has pretty good support but the budget has a big deficit this year so we'll see.
 #604650  by superbad

it would be really good for the entire chicago-milwaukee corridor if this project went on.. I understand that limited southbound trains would go to chicago, evanston, or waukegan..
however, as I poke more and more around milwaukee due to me living much closer than I had before, I have made a mental note that the KRM corridor appears to be the only area in the milwaukee region with enough population density to support commuter rail. I'm I right with this observation?
 #605765  by twoaday

I believe you could build west to the City of Waukesha. Also if done well rail lines will bring the density you don't have to build to density.

As far as the trains they would essentially stop in Kenosha where people would then catch the Metra line.
 #612804  by twoaday

If there are any Milwaukee County residents who read this the KRM project needs your help.. I got this from the group pushing for the KRM project:

For those of you that attended last week's meeting of the Milwaukee County Transportation and Public Works Committee, thank you for showing your support for transit and and a special shout-out to those that made statements or commented. The Committee is holding a follow-up meeting this Monday, December 15 at 1:30 PM in Room 201-B of the Milwaukee County Courthouse (the public notice is attached).

The Recommendations from the Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Transit Authority (RTA) on continued functions and responsibilities as presented to the Governor and Wisconsin State Legislature is the only item on the agenda. Again, we ask that CAT members and supporters attend the meeting if possible or and/or e-mail/call the supervisors that sit on the committee with your comments regarding the recommendations of the RTA.

Note If they can get the County on board the chances of the KRM project moving forward would be dramatically improved.
 #615102  by Otto Vondrak

A recap for those of us just joining the show:
Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee (KRM) Commuter Rai Connecting Milwaukee-Chicago economic corridor with 9 stops in WI and connecting to 25 communities on the Chicago Metra U.P. North line.

The Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee corridor has a unique and exciting opportunity to develop high-quality commuter rail service in an existing rail right-of-way. The existing Union Pacific freight rail line would be upgraded to add a commuter rail that would connect to the very successful Chicago Metra that now ends at Kenosha. It is envisioned that the KRM Commuter Rail service would connect the lakeside communities of Milwaukee, Milwaukee-south side, Cudahy-St. Francis, South Milwaukee, Oak Creek, Caledonia, Racine, Somers, and Kenosha--and connect to the Chicago Metra service to NE Illinois and Chicago.
 #615847  by twoaday

I'll add that there have been a couple of developments regarding the KRM and the proposed Regional Transit Authority that would run it. First Wisconsin's Governor listed it as a project that Wisconsin would like to receive funding for from the federal stimulus. And unfortunately Milwaukee County hasn't been so positive on the arrangement of the RTA so that could be a new roadblock.