Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LIRRNOVA55

I decided to make a modular settup of KPPC as its know, focused on the spur.
iv done a ton of research into this with help from some other members here, and even have an article on the spur comming out in a few weeks, but i need some help with some things.:
I have looked at many trackmaps so far but there not really helpful. even walked it twice. I do have a rough idea though,

Can anyone help me witht he following. .

- Road crossing, how many, and what where they from
- Where the platform was, and approximatly how long
- and and all runarounds and or sidings off the main spur
- aproximate length of the trestle

I know there were many different configureations over the years, from the manure track to the old building 59 powerplant by the water, but the era im shooting for is 1970-1985

and last, if anybody could post photos they have. I know Tim and Rich have helped me a few times in this sence but im sure other people would have some reference photos

any and all help appreciated
- Paul

by LIRRNOVA55

Sent :wink:

by alcoc420

The trestle fit 8 hoppers with a little room to spare. I'll get an exact length for you shortly. I have drawn more maps and profiles of this than I should admit.

The switch from the pj was moved to behind the fire house in about 1967. From there it crossed Main Street (NYS 25A), Flynn Road, and West 3rd Street. If you are on the trail, note that spot elevations are painted on the pavement. Main Stree is about 175, Flynn Rd is 174, W 3rd is 117 and trestle is about 99 or 100.

The platform is still there. I was running on it on Thursday. It is about 20 feet south of Flynn Rd, and is parallel to the Boulevard. It was made of soil, covered with grass and has 1 has foot tall retaining walls for sides. Eight hoppers could fit in the passenger spur with almost no extra room. When I was a kid 4 passenger cars were the normal sunday train, though the photos seem to all show 3.

If you follow the hike and bike trail, it follows the spur from the birch tree near the south end of the trail to nearly the trestle. The contractor took a little creative license by the platform. Following the trail from the south, the trail bends a little to the right. That bend is following the passenger spur. Then the trail bends left and rejoins the freight spur. The switch from the freight spur to the passenger spur was right about where the wood railing is. A brick culvert, about 3 feet diameter is under the railing.

There were no run arounds. There were no other sidings in the 1970-85 era.

by alcoc420

The trestle scales on a 1in = 200ft map as 610ft. It is safe to say this is within 10 feet of reality. I have never seen the engineered plans for this, though I have seen them for the old trestle down near the boat basin.

I will look for my photos. I have some of a c420 derailed. A few months ago I scanned one of my slides of empty tracks.

by alcoc420

Here's a 1984 photo. I had taken many Extra 2200 South type shots, but this is one of my favorites. I am no Ansel Adams, but I just like the scene, and thought maybe others might appreciate it.

by Legio X

Keep those C420 pictures coming! I hope everyone who has LIRR C420 pictures of 200-221 and 222-229 pools their collections and puts out a "Morning Sun"-style book about them. Freight, MoW and passenger service- bring it on!

by Legio X

Those hoppers look like Lake Erie, Franklin & Clarion cars. I hope Atlas or another high-end HO scale equipment makers produces them. They're sharp looking cars. The same goes for the C420, but 222-229 would be a longshot because of the high-short hood and Hi-Ad trucks. Maybe someone would make a modification set. Note how 223 has a mismatched set of numberboards. I've seen other C420's of the same batch with the same thing. Why did the LIRR do this?

by Richard_Glueck

DOn't those ALCO's look powerful in that shot? Great picture! Great subject!

by Noel Weaver

Legio X wrote:Keep those C420 pictures coming! I hope everyone who has LIRR C420 pictures of 200-221 and 222-229 pools their collections and puts out a "Morning Sun"-style book about them. Freight, MoW and passenger service- bring it on!
Good idea, but don't limit it to the C-420's. I suggest instead "THE ALCO
ERA ON THE LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD". I don't have very much as I was
more interested in watching and riding than photographing. I do have a
little bit but not too much. I also have some old 8mm stuff which was
done back in the 60's.
Noel Weaver

by Nova55

Bowser/Stewart makes the LEF&C cars.