• Kawasaki Heavy Industries new HS train design

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by Matt Johnson

I'm sure they have California in mind as a potential customer.
  by george matthews

Matt Johnson wrote:I'm sure they have California in mind as a potential customer.
Their main potential market would be China. How many sets would California buy, even if they get past the planning stage?

The main problem with designing trains for the US is that numbers are likely to be too small to make a profit. The second problem is that you probably can't sell an international model as the regulations are so different that special design is needed. And the third of course is the need to build them in the US.

They are competing with Hitachi, now supplying to Southeastern Train in Britain.
  by kaitoku

george matthews wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:I'm sure they have California in mind as a potential customer.
Their main potential market would be China. How many sets would California buy, even if they get past the planning stage?

The main problem with designing trains for the US is that numbers are likely to be too small to make a profit. The second problem is that you probably can't sell an international model as the regulations are so different that special design is needed. And the third of course is the need to build them in the US.

They are competing with Hitachi, now supplying to Southeastern Train in Britain.
Good point about the main potential customer being China. And after that India and perhaps Brazil. With the way big projects are done (or bungled) in the states, these countries will have their HSR lines in operation (or added to in China's case) before the last lawsuit is settled in California and the first shovelfull of dirt is turned on the Pacheco Pass, Tehachapi, or Altamont, whatever the case may be.

As far as an international model, I think these models will be built to European HSR standards, which is the de facto standard (witness KTX in Korea, Velaro in Russia). Califonia HSR doesn't need to meet archaic FRA regulations on crash worthiness/weight, being completely separated from the existing rail system (or only sharing the Caltrain corridor with future FRA-waiver commuter equipment). So these units will be compatible.

If Kawasaki can get a decent guaranteed order from California HSR, I'm sure they would be willing to build, or at least assemble, these trainsets in the U.S. to satisfy any "buy American" regulations. KHI does have a rolling stock plant in Lincoln, Nebraska which builds subway and light rail railcars, which can be used for this.