• July TRAINS; An "Ambash" Issue

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by SouthernRailway

Matt Johnson wrote:My question is why is the GOP so worried about eliminating a loss that amounts to less than the cost of a single F-35 when there are so many much more egregious sources of waste out there? The effect on the deficit is negligible. When there has been a long history of attempts on the right to scuttle mass transit and prevent establishment of rail service, or eliminate it where it exists, the cynicism is understandable.

http://cs.trains.com/trn/b/fred-frailey ... oh-my.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The other forgotten fact, which Richard Anderson is not allowed to forget, is that Congress preordained this to happen. Embedded in the Passenger Rail Reform & Investment Act of 2015 is this command: “Beginning on the date that is five years after the date of enactment of [PRRIA], no Federal funds may be used to cover any operating loss associated with providing food and beverage service on a route operated by Amtrak.”
As a former Republican, I just figured out that Republicans hate trains. They largely live in suburbs and drive, so they don't use mass transit or intercity rail. The "transportation should be a free market" talk is just nonsense; they'll give highways and airports all the tax dollars that they can.

However, as a Libertarian, I don't think that it's an excuse to waste money in one situation just because money is wasted in another situation.

I think it's best that Amtrak be run as efficiently as possible (in terms of dollars spent for revenue generated, as long as safety standards are not compromised). Otherwise Amtrak becomes an easy target for the Amtrak-haters such as Mark Meadows (another "I like small government unless I don't" type).

I certainly disagree with Amtrak's approach to food service cuts, as I think that the Lake Shore Limited food service is being cut so much that it will cost more in lost revenue than it will generate in savings, but I agree with running things efficiently. That's now most businesses are run: trying not to spend money that will be wasted.
  by johndmuller

However, as a Libertarian, I don't think that it's an excuse to waste money in one situation just because money is wasted in another situation.
Given that there are those standing up for eliminating 'waste and fraud' on the rails while standing by w/r eliminating 'waste and fraud' on the tarmac or the highways, do we judge that excusable, or need we require some equal vigilance if they attempt to single out selected targets while apparently leaving their own favorites unpoliced.
  by Dick H

They should send Delta Dick over to the EPA for a week and send Pruiit packing. He has spent more than the losses of Amtrak food service.
  by SouthernRailway

johndmuller wrote:
Given that there are those standing up for eliminating 'waste and fraud' on the rails while standing by w/r eliminating 'waste and fraud' on the tarmac or the highways, do we judge that excusable, or need we require some equal vigilance if they attempt to single out selected targets while apparently leaving their own favorites unpoliced.
We should require equal vigilance. Are there many people holding transportation departments accountable for excessive and inefficient highway spending? I’m not aware of any, but I haven’t investigated.
  by STrRedWolf

SouthernRailway wrote:
johndmuller wrote:
We should require equal vigilance. Are there many people holding transportation departments accountable for excessive and inefficient highway spending? I’m not aware of any, but I haven’t investigated.
Maryland constantly audits it's state highway and mass transit departments. MTA usually passes those audits; SHA has been failing them for losing track of money.
  by jonnhrr

What, did I accidentally go to democrat.net? I thought the title was "ambash issue" not GOPbash. Contrary to the simplistic stereotypes portrayed here, conservatives have various viewpoints on transportation and infrastructure. Ever checked out some of the pro-transit articles on The American Conservative website?

Jon
  by Matt Johnson

jonnhrr wrote:What, did I accidentally go to democrat.net? I thought the title was "ambash issue" not GOPbash. Contrary to the simplistic stereotypes portrayed here, conservatives have various viewpoints on transportation and infrastructure. Ever checked out some of the pro-transit articles on The American Conservative website?

Jon
There was a great editorial there that I've referenced before:

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... e-machine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by SouthernRailway

jonnhrr wrote:What, did I accidentally go to democrat.net? I thought the title was "ambash issue" not GOPbash. Contrary to the simplistic stereotypes portrayed here, conservatives have various viewpoints on transportation and infrastructure. Ever checked out some of the pro-transit articles on The American Conservative website?

Jon
William Lind, who writes those pro-transit articles, is outside the mainstream of GOP thought. He's also a monarchist, which many people would view as evidencing his position outside the mainstream.

Being pro-life and wanting to zero out or reduce subsidies for Amtrak are core required viewpoints for a GOP candidate. I know- I used to be an active Republican.