Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Blutorse4792

Hi, I am eventually going to model the MIL/N line in Trainz Railroad Simlator, and I was curious if my idea for a session was realistic:

During the day, an F40C pulling a commuter train breaks down a ways down the line. While an F40PH is sent to replace the power on the train, you need to take control of an SW1200, go and fetch the disabled F40C, and return it to Western Avenue.

Would this really happen?

by EricL

I guess it might, but it seems more likely to me that the rescue engine would just be tied onto the disabled train and the whole consist would continue on for at least the duration of the trip. The C&M sub is a busy place, and switching moves on the main line need to be kept to a minimum.

At least, that's how Amtrak would do it. We might share 32.3 miles of railroad with them, but Metra is still a whole different world to us. ;)

by doepack

On the C&M, and most other Metra lines (with the electric district being the obvious exception), disabled trains will either wait for a push from its follower, or they'll fire up the protect power at the downtown terminal to rescue the train, depending on the circumstances. Not that it isn't possible, but Metra generally doesn't use yard switchers on the road in rescue situatons. Also, if the disabled train was outbound, they'll push it on to the outlying terminal, then doublehead it on an inbound train for its servicing trip at the next available oppurtunity...

by Blutorse4792

So... unlikely but possible?

by Tadman

Let's put it this way - being a Metra fan since the late 80's, I've never heard of that happening. The yard goats are usually used for yard shunting, work trains, and dragging highliners up to the rocket house for wheel truing.

by Blutorse4792

Oh well. I might still do it as a scenario, simply for entertainment purposes, but thank you for your replies. Being that I've never seen 1-5 (Even when I went to Western Ave. to see 611 & 614), I have an interest in them.

by doepack

Here's an idea: If you want a realistic scenario where the SW1200's are used in revenue service, you might try creating the South Chicago branch of the electric district on MSTS. A couple of years ago, the catenary on this branch was de-powered (due to maintenance or construction, can't remember which), and Metra SW1200 #3 was used during this time to haul a single highliner up and down the branch. I think it was on a Sunday, but the train didn't go all the way downtown, only went as far as 59th St. on the mainline, where Loop-bound passengers transferred to another train. Just a thought...

by Blutorse4792

doepack wrote:Here's an idea: If you want a realistic scenario where the SW1200's are used in revenue service, you might try creating the South Chicago branch of the electric district on MSTS. A couple of years ago, the catenary on this branch was de-powered (due to maintenance or construction, can't remember which), and Metra SW1200 #3 was used during this time to haul a single highliner up and down the branch. I think it was on a Sunday, but the train didn't go all the way downtown, only went as far as 59th St. on the mainline, where Loop-bound passengers transferred to another train. Just a thought...
*sigh* If only someone in the Trainz community would make a Highliner. The only stuff you ever get is Northeast stuff (CSX, NS, Conrail, PRR, NYC, Penn Central, etc.) I mean, there's more PC stuff than Milwaukee Road stuff.
  by Kangaroo_of_72

Blutorse4792 wrote:*sigh* If only someone in the Trainz community would make a Highliner. The only stuff you ever get is Northeast stuff (CSX, NS, Conrail, PRR, NYC, Penn Central, etc.) I mean, there's more PC stuff than Milwaukee Road stuff.
Ha! Reminds me of my Lionel days.