Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by lirrmike

Interesting. Anyway, what is the address of that "Brooklyn Historic Railway Association" site. Thanks.

Mike

by trackml2

To Mark777:

I think one of the historians here (ie. Dave) would be better suited to answer your question about the tunnel . "see above"

I can tell you at the "old" Woodhaven Station, A little west of where the tunnel dumps into Dunton Interlocking, there are two tubes that turn to the south. This was the Rockaway Branch There was an interlocking here years ago. I was in the old tower, which still had the model board (track plan) for the interlocking. Also all the porcelin was still intact in the retsrooms. In one room, that stored food as a bomb shelter there was barrels of drinking water (rusted through) containers of crackers (think vacuum sealed cans resembling nestle Quick cans, only larger) fresh as could be. This stuff I saw with my own eyes. Rumor has it from the old timers that was also chocalets in there that tasted swell. At the tubes I mentioned the old-timers told me there was an engine behind the sealed wall. I have been to several spots

Word of advice to all: THIS AREA IS HEAVILY ALARMED. Do not try to gain access or you WILL go to jail.

by Fla East Coast Chris

HI,
Also in Dunton Tower on the model board has an arrow pointing west that says Woddhaven. Also there is a book out called "Change at Ozone" It has a sketch about Woodhaven interlocking.
Chris's low carb rail reports

by krispy

What remained of Woodhaven interlocking was dismantled and removed for parts during the East New York/Van elimination/cutover by the 'lock and valve' tech back in late Sept. 2001. The remnants of the fallout shelter and everything else was removed and sealed. As mentioned previously, it is monitored and alarmed, and anyone trying to get in will have an unhappy experience, not only because of the MTA police but due to the proximity of high voltage cables running thru to the substation.

FEC's light on the Dunton board was actually a hut entry alarm that was sometimes inadvertantly setoff by ET/third rail and would scare the tower operator who would wonder what did they just do. (Whassup Handsome!! How's things out in God's Country?)

ML2, you an ex-maintainer?

by Fla East Coast Chris

Krispy,
Still making the Monthly Florida trips as usual have to keep up that 12month tan. Hope all is well with you I'll give you a ring on Thurs Morning. (Coffee gives me a headache) Paul Puma!!!!!!
Take Care
Chris

by DogBert

subway stuff:

1)
There are hardly any 'abandoned' tunnels in the NYC subway. A few segments here and there, but nothing that extensive.

2) south 4th street is not a rumor, but nor is it a tunnel. it is a 6 track station provision built when the G line was constructed. it consists of untiled island platforms and trackways. I've got photos of it.

as for atlantic av, I'll believe there is a steam tunnel behind that wall when I see it... which is likely to be never...

mark777 wrote:trackml2:

I have a question for you regarding the Atlantic Ave tunnel. How far east did this tunnel travel to? Considering that the LIRR operates in a tunnel from Flatbush Ave to just west of Nostrand Ave, and from just west of East New York station up to Morris park, did this tunnel pass underneath the LIRR tracks, or did it end before the Flatbush Ave terminal? I now that there are a lot of supposed abandoned tunnels in NYC, most for the Subway system, like the elusive south 4th street station in Williamsburg. I have heard quite a bit of the Atlantic Ave tunnel, and the rumored burried LIRR steam locomotive, but the rumors of the West Hempstead branch is new to me, considering that I have been to that Mcdonalds many times, as well as the adjacent park across the street. How would a locomotive ended there? The WH branch is still quite a few blocks SE of the location, unless there was an industrial spur there at one time? Maybe Dave knows!

by Jeffrey Rosen

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the 76th Street Station in this thread.

by Sir Ray

Jeffrey Rosen wrote:I'm surprised nobody mentioned the 76th Street Station in this thread.
'Tis not Subtalk (or it's successor SubChat - even there the '76th St' station rumor does not get the press it did on Subtalk, although the joke may be played out - all I could find quickly - there's plenty of photoshops out there ... http://www.nycrail.com/amb/board1/1443-1.html )

Edit: Here's the Spoof page on 76th St. http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/76st.html
  by dukeoq

Jeff, Tunnel Rat is new at the online game.
I've tried to introduce him to this site but so far no see.
I'll try to coax him to put his findings on here.

by BMT

To add to Jeff and JJ's posts:

A sure way to run into 'Tunnel Rat' would be to head up to the Shoreline Trolley Museum on the last Saturday of any month through October. Why? Because he tends to hang out on the days when rapid transit cars 'come out and play'. He's a subway, trolley and LIRR buff. He is one of the few people who has traversed the entire East New York tunnel (as a cop chasing perps). He is a real character whether or not you buy the '76th Street Station' story.