Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LIRailfan79

does the LIRR qualify as a shortline Rail Road? or is it in some other category?

also, what makes a RR a shortline?

by Clemuel

The LIRR is classified by the AAR as a Class II Railroad, because its operating revenues are between $10 million and $50 million annually.

Before it ditched frieght, the LIRR was a Class I Railroad -- the oldest, in fact, operating under its original name.

The NYAR is a Class III.

Short Lines are independent railroad companies that operate over a relatively short distance. Short lines generally exist for one of three reasons: to link two industries requiring rail freight together (for example, a gypsum mine and a wall board factory, or a coal mine and a power plant); to interchange revenue traffic with other, usually larger, railroads; or to operate a tourist passenger train service. Often, short lines exist for all three of these reasons. Because of their small size and generally low revenues, the great majority of short line railroads in United States are classified by the American Association of Railroads as Class III.

Clem

by RPM2Night

I think most short lines are just small (maybe not the distance covered, but more the amount of employees they have and the amount of equipment) private companies that don't generate as much revenue, compared to the big state/city funded commuter lines, and the big class 1 railroads. The reason I say the distance covered doesn't really reflect a short line or not is because take the NECR for example...it's a short line, but it runs all the way from the Canadian border down to the Atlantic Coastline/southern Ct.

by Noel Weaver

RPM2Night wrote:I think most short lines are just small (maybe not the distance covered, but more the amount of employees they have and the amount of equipment) private companies that don't generate as much revenue, compared to the big state/city funded commuter lines, and the big class 1 railroads. The reason I say the distance covered doesn't really reflect a short line or not is because take the NECR for example...it's a short line, but it runs all the way from the Canadian border down to the Atlantic Coastline/southern Ct.
I don't think the New England Central can be classified as a "short line".
Seems to me that railroad is a "regional railroad" which serves a region
and has quite a few interchange points and customers. It has operations
in four different states too.
A short line often has only one crew and may not even run every day
either.
I know we are getting off topic on this one but I wanted to make this
point.
Noel Weaver

by BMT

It's a commuter railroad (or is now, thanks to their giving up on frieght).

However, depending on who you as some might call it 'glorified rapid transit'. :wink:

After all, the LIRR's trackage -- technically -- does not venture beyond state lines.