Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by NJTKid01

I'm planning a trip to New Haven, I was wondering does Union Station have easy access to Downtown New Haven? Or would I have to take a CT Transit Bus or take a cab? Thanks!
  by Tom Curtin

It's about 15 min. walk (at a brisk pace) to the town green.

by Lackawanna484

There's a CT Transit bus line which links the station to downtown for Shore Line East train patrons. You might call or e-mail to see if they transport MetroNorth and Amtrak patrons, too.

I recall a bus stop outside the Union Station building. CT Transit prob has that info, too.

http://www.shorelineeast.com/ccdowntownam.htm

by NJD8598

Its not a terrible walk, but there are a ton of bus routes all over New Haven so I would suggest just checking out the maps, which are available in the station too if I remember correctly.

by njtmnrrbuff

The walk should not be had. I am not too sure about the neighborhood between the station and town.

by NJTKid01

I wanted to thank you, guys, for your tips and thoughts on this forum. The final thing, I wanted to know, Is it a safe walk between Downtown and Union Station? Thanks!

by NJD8598

During the day I don't think you'll really have much to worry about, but if its at night you should be careful. I go to school in West Haven, and last semester we did some walking around at night in a very bad area of the city looking at different fire scenes for one of my classes. The area was sketchy but there were cops everywhere. I figure you'll be going during the day anyways, so it should be ok.

by njtmnrrbuff

Try to bring your camera. New Haven is a great place to railfan and you shouldn't have any hassles. New Haven state st, you might want to check out.

by NJTKid01

njt/mnrrbuff and NJD8598, I thank you for your vauable information about New Haven. I would definitely take you guys up on those tips, also I would be traveling during the day, so I won't forsee any trouble in the neighborhood.

by Swedish Meatball

As soon as you leave the station and start walking east towards downtown you are walking by the police station. I have never had any trouble at anytime in that part of town.

by Noel Weaver

When you walk out of the New Haven station, look across the street, NO
PROBLEMS?, Be VERY careful, do not carry a camera or much money
with you.
A few years in the past, when the bunk room was over in the GOB at 54
Meadow Street, a few of our people used to have trouble just walking
over there and many of the trainmen ditched their uniforms in their locker
room or grip first.
Noel Weaver

by njtmnrrbuff

In a few weeks, I might go to Old Saybrook to railfan via MN to SLE.