Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Tom Curtin

I heard a discussion on the car radio this morning quoting a supposed news item (which I have not seen elsewhere) in which an MTA board member questioned publicly whether the LIRR should be in the liquor sales business. Although they only spoke of the LIRR, that same MTA board has oversight of Metro North.

Now folks, before everybody gets heated up over this, let me remind you that it's one thing to float a baloon and a whole 'nother matter to implement something like this that has the potential to be really unpopular --- not to mention cost the RR revenue!!

I remember back around 1983 or so, when CT DOT announced a plan to convert the New Haven M2 bar cars to coaches, in the interest of creating more seats. The commuter uprising over that damn near registered on the Richter scale, and reached the gov. of CT's desk --- who personally quashed any such idea. I was a New Haven commuter at the time and can proudly claim to have been one of the rabble rousers that helped to get it quashed.

by DutchRailnut

MN and ConnDOT are pretty commited to bar cars and bar carts and make a bigger profit on it than LIRR's $350 000.

by RearOfSignal

Why no bar cars on the Hudson and Harlem lines? I could guess it wouldn't be cost effective on the Hudson, since the ride to Croton isn't that long and isn't there a limit as to when and where alcohol can be served on the line, sort of like the no beer after the 7th inning rule at a baseball game. Or is there a specific regulation prohibiting bar cars on the Hudson and Harlem?

by Nester

I was anecdotally told years ago that before the LIRR came under the full regulation of the SLA that the made more than a million dollars in profit on the carts. When you factor in inflation they should be making a lot more than 350k/year.

Besides, this is all reactionary nonsense to the girl who died at Woodside. Mitch Pally's "symbolic first step" isn't symbolic at all. He clearly would like to ban all alcohol on-board, and it's mentioned in the article.

He's an academic nanny-stater, read his bio on the MTA site. I just can't help but wonder if he can see the difference between MNR and LIRR riders.

by Jeff Smith

Sounds like the school rat to me, always tattling when too many people are having fun, and he feels left out. I think they call it being a stick in the mud.

by pnaw10

rcervel wrote:Why no bar cars on the Hudson and Harlem lines?
I recall there being quite a lengthy discussion on the bar car topic some time ago here... you can search for it and read it on your own.

But if I remember correctly, the New Haven Line bar cars are operated by CDOT, not the MTA. Since CDOT controls a majority of the property and equipment on the NH Line, it's their decision.

I could take some guesses as to why MTA doesn't do bar cars on the Hudson & Harlem, but that's all they would be -- guesses. As has been said on here many times... if you want an "official" answer, go to www.mta.info and ask the MTA directly.

by Nester

rcervel wrote:Why no bar cars on the Hudson and Harlem lines? I could guess it wouldn't be cost effective on the Hudson, since the ride to Croton isn't that long and isn't there a limit as to when and where alcohol can be served on the line, sort of like the no beer after the 7th inning rule at a baseball game. Or is there a specific regulation prohibiting bar cars on the Hudson and Harlem?

One of the original Shoreliner deliveries had space for a bar or bar cart, but the spaces were "removed" for additional seats.

If you look in the ABC records you'll see that MNR has line, train, and car number licenses to serve alcohol. Some of the lines and trains listed are clearly H&H trains or routes.

As one of the other posters mentioned, there's a long thread on here about the bar cart service. I'm sure you can find it :)

by peak-layover

One of the original Shoreliner deliveries had space for a bar or bar cart, but the spaces were "removed" for additional seats.
It was one of the NH cars. I think it was 6255. There is still a space there. One of the cars in the 6230s has a bar still in it. Both of these cars have about 10 seats missing. Thats 25 extra seats that can make a big difference.

There was also just a story on the bar cars on MNCR and LIRR on CBS.

by L'mont

If they stopped selling alcohol, I would be VERY upset. First of all, where else can I get a $2 beer? Second, very few things are more satisfying than the 16oz Bud I allow myself on Friday. Even though it's just crappy Budweiser, it's the best tasting beer ever.

If anyone out there things the bar carts are having an adverse effect....wrong. No one is buying enough booze to get banged up on the trip home. If it happens, it's rare and we'll all get over it.

I'll add this though, I've never used the Bar Car and rarely see it open. I'm not sure I see the real need. A beer (or two, for longer trips) bought in the terminal is fine. I wouldn't miss the Bar Car, but I would miss the carts at the platform......miss them A LOT.

by Terminal Proceed

I for one, support this man's effort to shutter the bar cars & prohibit open containers on the MTA properties 100%

by Erie-Lackawanna

Terminal Proceed wrote:I for one, support this man's effort to shutter the bar cars & prohibit open containers on the MTA properties 100%
That's well and good, Kevin, but then guess who gets to enforce it? ;-)

Jim

by L'mont

Terminal Proceed wrote:I for one, support this man's effort to shutter the bar cars & prohibit open containers on the MTA properties 100%
Why, Terminal?

by Terminal Proceed

the police get to enforce it.

by Nester

MNR is already on record for supporting alcohol sales, so unless the MTA board forces them to end the practice, I think MNR riders are safe.

If you read the specifics of the article, Pally asked the LIRR to consider it and they said they would. Given the LIRR's (post-takeover) attitude of being recalcitrant, I'm hoping this "consideration" is the equivalent of taking the issue off the table by studying it and issuing a decision years later -- one that affirms the current practice.

Personally, I'd like to see on-board bar service return to H&H trains. A well-designed cart shouldn't occupy more than a four-seater.