• Interesting piece on aging and transportation equality.

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by 25Hz

I found it interesting.

http://t4america.org/resources/seniorsm ... risis2011/
By 2015, more than 15.5 million Americans 65 and older will live in communities where public transportation service is poor or non-existent. That number is expected to continue to grow rapidly as the baby boom generation “ages in place” in suburbs and exurbs with few mobility options for those who do not drive.

Aging in Place, Stuck without Options ranks metro areas by the percentage of seniors with poor access to public transportation, now and in the coming years, and presents other data on aging and transportation.
Last edited by mtuandrew on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Moderator's Note: Added a fair-use quote.
  by JBHUNTFAN

At what point do we have to take the keys from our independent minded baby boomer mom and dads? The fact that that generation drives and still consumes both legal medications doctor and self medicated makes me want to stay on the sidewalk. As a bicyclist I know this as I live in a community were 60% of pop is over 60.
  by amtrakowitz

25Hz wrote:I found it interesting.
http://t4america.org/resources/seniorsm ... risis2011/
By 2015, more than 15.5 million Americans 65 and older will live in communities where public transportation service is poor or non-existent. That number is expected to continue to grow rapidly as the baby boom generation “ages in place” in suburbs and exurbs with few mobility options for those who do not drive.

Aging in Place, Stuck without Options ranks metro areas by the percentage of seniors with poor access to public transportation, now and in the coming years, and presents other data on aging and transportation.
Yes, stick them on public transportation where they will instead get mugged or worse. That's aside from the fact that most 65+ persons who don't live in cities do indeed drive.

T4America's platform is squarely on the left, which means they have other motives:
Transportation for America has formed a broad coalition of housing, business, environmental, public health, transportation, equitable development, and other organizations. We’re all seeking to align our national, state, and local transportation policies with an array of issues like economic opportunity, climate change, energy security, health, housing and community development.
With all due respect, I'll pass on that, as well as the whole "transportation equality" spiel. Heard it all before.
jbhuntfan wrote:At what point do we have to take the keys from our independent minded baby boomer mom and dads?
Hmm. Ageism.