Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LIRRNOVA55

WOW!. . .

by DogBert

well...

what can I say, I've never had such an encounter anywhere, and I go to a lot of odd spots.

it's all about what actors call 'status'. if you act like you belong someplace no one will think otherwise, and even a bunch of 'gang' kids will probably think 'oh shit, who's that?' and leave if you look like you belong someplace and they know they shouldn't be there. Either that or they'll just stand around not saying anything.

maybe it's an age thing? are you younger? I'm heading towards mid 30s and people always assume i'm either an undercover cop or a construction guy. i'm not particularly big but I always look as though I'm ready to hit someone - maybe that's just from growing up in the city when I did I suppose. :D

As a rule of thumb I never carry the camera out of the bag between taking photos, and always look around to see who's around before taking one out - but that rule applies to anywhere. It's the first thing my photography teacher told us in high school way back then. besides, you want your hands to be free as much as possible anyway. I just drop it in and pull it out of a shoulder bag whenever I need it.

The easiest way to spot a non native new yorker or tourist in the city is if they carry a camera or other valuable out in the open. ;D