Railroad Forums 

• In case you are not watching Fox News...

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#36819  by John_Perkowski

A morning run enroute into NYP has been held somewhere in Newark and every swinging Richard is being questioned by police.

That's all I know at the moment, I trust other Members will update as news breaks.

John

#36826  by jfrey40535

The train was held for 90 minutes at Newark for an unspecified security sweep. No one was allowed on or off, people had to give their ID to police and have their belongings searched. No reason was given.

This is all starting to sound like Germany 1933.

Wonder if Amtrak would be giving refunds or a free ride or something to compensate passengers. I would have been livid had I paid $50 to ride PHL-NYP only to go through that for 90 minutes, which is the same amount of the time trip normally takes.

Is this going to become the norm for NEC travel? OR was this some kind of test for the upcoming convention?

#36842  by John_Perkowski

I expect the Contract of Carriage includes a clause for delays due to law enforcement action.

As far as the transportation of passengers is concerned, there is no difference (to my mind) between this and an emergency stop after a train has crunched an auto that tried to beat the crossing gates.

The privacy and security issues vis a vis the passengers are another thing altogether, and are serious enough, but are sadly (imo) not for this forum.

John