Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by timz

Should be an easy one, but not for me: go to www.corbis.com and search for VV7225. That's V V, not W.

by Dave Keller

I'm going to take a guess and say Port Washington, at the furthest westbound end of the platform.

Also, I'd say between 1958 and 1968, as:

1. The Dashing Dan logo on the sides of the cars started in 1958.
2. The "ESSO" gas station sign was EXXON by 1968 if I recall correctly.

Nice night shot! Very deserted parking lot!!!

Dave Keller

by 9C1LT1

Hi, Yup looks like Port Washington station! The Esso is now a private vehicle repair center. The view is from one of two ped. overpasses looking southwest.

-Barry

by NIMBYkiller

Yup. Definately PW. Photo was taken from the southernmost ped bridge, which connects the Bayles Av parking lot to the platforms, but does not go all the way across.

Pretty nice photo

by M1 9147

I'm another person to say Port Washington also. Now the platforms are in need of repair now!
  by RetiredLIRRConductor

Yes it is Port wash looking west from the east pedestrian overpasss :wink:

by NIMBYkiller

Actually, it's looking southwest from the north overpass
  by RetiredLIRRConductor

Yeah nimby you are right, I was speaking strictly from a RR point of view, since the railroad drums into us eastbound and westbound.. :wink:

by Dave Keller

Just as Ozone Park station was once located geographically south (railroad east) of Woodhaven Junction station.

Just as Long Beach station is geographically southwest (railroad east) of Island Park station.

etc., etc.

Dave Keller

by Diverging Route

I'll do even better!

I can identify the bus in the rear. It belonged to Sands Point Country Day School. They had three of these -- painted in green and white. They were numbered 17, 18, and 19. When SPCDS closed, they were sold to Pierce Coach Line of Roslyn, and repainted in standard school bus yellow.

by Dave Keller

Wow!!!! Great info.

I'll do even better!

See those bolts holding up the ESSO sign? . . . . . :wink:

Just kidding!

Dave Keller

by Diverging Route

I can focus in a bit more on the date. SPCDS got the bus in the 1964-66 timeframe. I rode it (or one of its two sister buses) every day from Howard Beach to Sands Point in 1966!

by bingdude

Nice shot!

Definitely early 60s at the latest. The style of the clothing kind of nails it down. That ESSO sign is old for that time. By mid 60s most gas stations had back-lit signs that rotated.

BTW, ESSO became EXXON in 1972.

by NIMBYkiller

Diverging Route: did you ever live in the Port Washington area?

by Dave Keller

Bingdude:

Thanks for the Esso/Exxon clarification. To be off by 4 years wasn't too bad in dinosaur memory!

I have a 1968 Esso LI map in my desk and I remember using EXXON in 1972, so I figured the change was sometime between those years. I chose 1968 to be safe! :wink:

Did not recall it actually happened IN 1972!

As for the solid gas signs: Yes, the newer stations had those lit and revolving signs, and some of the older ones were upgraded to them but there were some that never upgraded. I remember Texaco, for years, had solid signs that were lit by exterior lights at the base of the sign and we had an old Flying A gas station in Medford along Rt 112 that still had their old, red and white, solid sign. Then there was Cities Service and Sinclair with solid signs as well!!!! There's that dinosaur again, literally (The logo for Sinclair was a dinosaur.)

Dave Keller