Railroad Forums 

• ICG C-636 questions

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#9426  by N. Todd

Three questions:
What type of horns did the C-636's have? They were some kind of five chime. Also, they were delivered over the engineer's position. Later they were moved over the center of they cab. Why were they moved? I would guess because they were a tad too loud for the crew, but if so, why were they over the engineer in the first place?
Last, when exactly in 1979 were they retired?

#11565  by bones

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they had Leslie S5's.

#13596  by Class1railroader

Don't know much about the horns, but the big Alcos spent most of their ICG careers on the Kentucky Division between Paducah and Louisville, so they would never be too far from the Paducah shops. After ICG I'm not sure where they went. Do you know? There was a great article about the '36's in the Train's magazine Alco 100th Anniversary edition in 2001.

#14423  by N. Todd

They were traded to PNC in January 1980 for a few ex-Southern SD-24's and scrapped [date].