• i need to know lirr test questions for machinist

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Paul

Question one: Do you work safe?

Question Two: On a 16 cylinder two stroke cycle engine, how many cylinders fire on two rotations of the crank shaft?

Question Three: What are the three angles of alignment?

Question Four: What do bubbles in the return flow sight glass indicate?

Question Five: What do warped diffusers indicate?

Question Six: What does a burping turbo indicate?

Question Seven: If gear "A" turns in direction "x", then what direction does gear "B" turn in?

Question Eight: What is the maximum amount of brake piston travel?

Question Nine: When is it acceptable to use a screw driver as a pry bar?

Question Ten: What is the differance between a cut out valve and a cut out cock?

These would be my top ten questions directed at an experienced railroad Machinist seaking a position. Generally, you don't need ANY railroad knowledge to take a pre employment test.

I do have 20 years as a Journeyman Machinist, so if I can help you, feel free to ask.

Answers will be posted Tuesday, April 4, 2006.

by rocco

interesting questions.
Im a auto mech for 20yrs myself.Just wondering if theres gonna be off the wall questions about stuff im not gonna be familiar with.
I appreciate the offer and will take you up on it too.are you on this forum often?

by Paul

You'll do OK.
The last test I took (about ten years ago for BNSF) just asked basic mechanical questions. Locomotives are a very propriatary item and if you haven't worked on them, you wouldn't know. While the engines them selves arent specific to locomotive application, the support and auxiliary systems are. They have you do "spatial thinking" like seeing a diagram of an unfolded box and you have a choice of what the box should look like after it is folded. Questions One, Three and Nine are right off the test. The rest are through the verbal interview. I doubt without a railroad background, they would even ask you those questions, save for number Two.

by rocco

how about some of them answers? the if x is y stunned me and the piston travel also,I would think piston travel would depend on the size of the piston.
if i said 5 inches on a 2 foot piston that would be dumb.

The application says it askes about hvac air cond/heat genrl automotive,electric also

by rocco

is it a multiple choice test?

by Otto Vondrak

Rocco, pay attention :-) That's the first rule at any job regarding heavy machinery.

Paul said he would post the answers on April 4.

-otto-
  by Paul

Here are the answers to the questions.
1: Yes
2: 32
3.: Axial, Angular, Radial.
4. Engine running: Fuel suction leak or faulty injector tips. Engine dead: suction leak
5: Overheat or overspeed of turbocharger.
6: Plugged parts catcher and or plugged aftercooler.
7: Gear "B" turns oposite direction of gear "A".
8: One and one half inch less than maximum piston traval, as specified on FRA blue card
9: Never.
10: Cock handle position inline is open, Cut out valve handle position inline is closed.

by rocco

tomorrrow im taking the test,wish I knew what i should brush up on.Ill post up after the test.