Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Tadman

What a cool book. Cannot believe I waited this long. If you don't have a copy I recommend you run out and buy one today.
  by Franklin Gowen

Volume 2 of what, now??? Please provide more details. Thanks!
  by Franklin Gowen

Thanks for the tip. Interesting-looking book, though a trifle expensive. Does the author do a good job with the text, making it something more than a dull recitation of facts?

How good is the photo coverage from Michigan City *east*? I'm most interested in seeing the small rural psgr. stops which once existed in places such as Springville, La Lumiere, Tee Lake, Smith, Birchim, Lake Park, Lydick, and Chain O' Lakes (among others). Vintage views of Hudson Lake, New Carlisle and the Hydraulic St. psgr yard in downtown South Bend would also be a treat, of course.

Scenes of the orange 1920s Insull cars rolling through lonely forest and prairie have a special appeal to me. Even rarer than that would be photos of electric freight in the same locations, either going "through" or making a set-out on a local siding.
  by Tadman

Both volumes have lots of photos I've never seen before of subject materials I've seen little of. After all, in all history there have been three classes of MU's and four types of freight power on this little pike, so things start to get repetitive after so many books. But these books are different and I'm quite happy spending the extra $$$ on them. Also, the second one is a little more text intensive than the first. Both are clearly picture before text books though.