Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by ekho-viktor

Hi! I was hoping somebody might know some history about this old pedestrian bridge:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.885496, ... a=!3m1!1e3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In case the link doesn't work or isn't clear, it's located south of Riverdale Station right where Amtrak's Empire connection (to the Spuyten Duyvil bridge) joins the line. It's basically right across from West 231st Street.

This has always been a defining feature of the lower Hudson Line to me, as ever since I was a kid I was fascinated by how ridiculously it juts out into the river and drops off. I think it's a wonderful relic, but I can't seem to find any info on specifically what purpose it once served. I imagine it used to access a dock, since I can't see why else it would stick out so far over the river bank. Perhaps I'm off-base here.

Thanks!
  by DutchRailnut

from what I was told it was a foot bridge to a dock, long since gone.
  by Tommy Meehan

Based on a news story I once saw in an old Railroad Gazette published many many years ago, that was actually erected by New York Central to facilitate rescue efforts should there be a derailment or collision in that area. That there was no road access or at least none back in the days when this was put in place (around 1900). Reportedly the river end was supposed to be located in such a way a Coast Guard cutter could come in close to shore and use the "gangway" (for lack of a better word) to get personnel ashore. I believe this was an outgrowth of an accident on that part of the railroad where rescuers were greatly hampered by lack of access to the scene.

I believe originally there were several of them located in hard to reach areas along the Hudson.
  by RearOfSignal

Yes, there are several along the Hudson, not an uncommon sight.
  by shlustig

Back in the 1970's, we removed several of those overhead structures in the Electric Zone.

Used work trains with the wrecker.

Unfortunately, one was picked while off balance and was dropped across all tracks. Fortunately, this work was done on weekends.
  by bingdude

I live right along the right of way in Hastings and our property has one of those bridges (it is the second one as you go north after Hastings). Many of those bridges (if not all) were built for the landowners by the railroad to provide access to the river. Our property actually has a water grant-- 2 acres of the river technically belong to us. When the Hudson River RR was built in the 1800s the grant of the right of way for the tracks was contingent on the landowners being able to still get to the water. And Long before our apartments were built there was an estate here and that landowner had a dock down there. Recently one of my neighbors did some research and he is in the process of trying to get our bridge rehabilitated. He found out the town houses next to us (who own the first bridge you pass going north--which is painted and in good condition) fought with Penn Central and later Conrail to get their bridge repaired and won. It's an uphill battle and I don't think he will ever win but he's determined and has done the research.

Between Greystone and Hastings is the Palisade Yacht Club. They too have a legal grant for access-- Metro North allows members to drive their boat trailers along right of way where the siding that used to go to Glenwood Power station was. Originally they used a grade crossing that existed at Greystone, which was removed in the 80s.
  by shlustig

That grade-crossing at Greystone was gone long before the 1980's. When I worked in that territory in the 1970's, the only active crossing in the electric zone was at Croton. The last active crossing south of there was removed in the 1960's.
  by Terrapin Station

bingdude wrote:He found out the town houses next to us (who own the first bridge you pass going north--which is painted and in good condition)
Ha, I've been across that bridge. I spent some time up there. I should send you a PM. I'll also try to post a photo if I remember.
  by Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station wrote:
bingdude wrote:He found out the town houses next to us (who own the first bridge you pass going north--which is painted and in good condition)
Ha, I've been across that bridge. I spent some time up there. I should send you a PM. I'll also try to post a photo if I remember.
Here's one of the photos I took from the better bridge, looking north toward your bridge.