Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Rockingham Racer

I'm at Marist College for a workshop; have noticed ribbon rail along side the controlled siding, waiting to be installed. It was there last year, also.
Anybody got any idea when this stuff is finally going to be put down?

by DutchRailnut

Sometimes these strigs of rail will lay there for years. and are planned years in advance, MNCR has to purchase rail by trainload and distributes it where they think it will go. it sometimes gets gragged to other locations.

by Rockingham Racer

Thanks, Dutch. Sounds like "no immediate plan"! While I'm on the subject of the upper Hudson, when I used to hang out at Woodlawn tower in the 70's, way back then there was talk of electrifying up to P'keepsie. The topic has already been discussed here, I'm sure, but is there anything in the grand plan to do so?

by DutchRailnut

No at 6 Million per mile there is no base for electrifying to poughkeepsie.
todays diesel trains with fuel economic diesels and cab cars do not require yard crews and run arounds so the economic advantage of electrifying is gone.

by Rockingham Racer

Yes, that IS expensive. But the upper Harlem was electrified in the not-too-distant past. What's so special about eastern Putnam county?

by DutchRailnut

More commuter on both sides of railroad, Hudson mainly only sees commuters from one side of line. other than a few accros the hudson feeder services.
Besides the electrification only reaches Southeast at Mp53 so that would only be to Cold springs on Hudson.
  by jhdeasy

During 1971-1975, I used to look out my Marist College dorm window and look down at the Hudson Division mainline of Penn Central. I'd watch Amtrak's Empire Service, I'd watch the FL-9's from the commuter trains run up to CP 75 to crossover and return to the station, and I watch the occasional freight train.

Since then, life has been good to me and my professional interest in the railroad business has developed, so now I get to look out the window of my private railroad car, on the rear of an Amtrak train passing Marist College, and remember the old days.

The Water Level Route still holds my attention.

by Rockingham Racer

Well, Jack, I'm a little older than you. Class of '66. Took M-N to GCT Saturday morning, and noticed a new set of signals (hate those M-N signals!) just north of the station. I think they're going to put in powered switches to help with movements in and out of the storage tracks.

by Railjunkie

Dutch,

Third rail starts at MP 35.8 on the Hudson at Croton North Yard with sections of third rail on track one between CP19 and MP18.9, MP24.3 andMP27.0, MP 32 to CP33. 4,2,3 have third rail from CP34 to GCT.