• How many units does NYS&W have?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Steve F45

In that thread about the F45 i looked thru that link that was given about 6400 and saw all those different NYSW units. Do they still have them? Where do mostly run? I see the same ones all the time in Ridgfield Park all the time. And now see all those repainted into NYSW old alco's i believe.

by cjvrr

2005VDub;

The link to Joshua Blay's site has the "POST NYS&W" column which explains what happened to each unit.
  by n01jd1

2005Vdub wrote:In that thread about the F45 i looked thru that link that was given about 6400 and saw all those different NYSW units. Do they still have them? Where do mostly run? I see the same ones all the time in Ridgfield Park all the time. And now see all those repainted into NYSW old alco's i believe.
The NYSW current roster includes:
3 GP18's #1800-1804
3 GP20's #2062-2066
1 GP38 #2012
1 GP40 #3040
4 SD40T-2's #3010-3016
3 SD45's #3614, 3618 & 3634
1 F45 #3636 (OOS, needs new prime mover)
2 C636's #3660-3662 (not yet renumbered QCM 77 & RPRX 78. #77 OOS Freeze damage)
6 M636's #3664-3674 (3668 not yet renumbered SIXX 47)
3 SD70M's 4050-4054 (On long term lease to the I&O)
1 SW9 #120
2 E9's #2400-2402 (Up for sale, no takers)

This gives the NYSW a fleet of 30 locomotives. You can pretty much see any locomotive, anywhere, at any time with the exception of the E9's, SW9, F45 and SD70M's althought the GP20's do spend alot more time on the Northern Division than they do on the Southern Division.

The NYSW is leasing some locomotives as well. These are:
NYSW (NYOW) 116 (Owned by NYSW board of directors member not NYSW)
BDLX 2208 U23B
BDLX 2209 U23B
BDLX 1355 GP40 (Rumours had NYSW possibly buying this engine.)

There are also rumours that NYSW is looking for more big six axle Alco/MLW units to its roster of "things". Hope this helps.
Last edited by n01jd1 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Where is the O&W 116, NW-2 at? I used to love that little pup, and we ran the balls of that engine, daily. Still around?

by sallenparks

More six axled ALCO's/or MLW where do they think they can get those from there ALCO order books but it is just here say possibleities could be more Cartier or ED BOWER's C630m's 2028 2029 maybe C630 34 then of course there is G.E's 5000 M630u and I think there is an NdeM M630 still around guess will have to wait and see though.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Could you please repeat that, in english?

by n01jd1

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Where is the O&W 116, NW-2 at? I used to love that little pup, and we ran the balls of that engine, daily. Still around?
Ferrying tourists on the Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley last I heard. I didnt include it on the list since it is not owned by the NYSW itself, it is/was owned by one of the board members and it hasnt been active in freight service for some time.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Thanks for that info. Even though that was a leased unit, we always considered it to be a Suzy unit. We know that the owner was on the "board", and that engine was a great unit to run, while we built the Sea-Land train every night. Switching Bulk, Mirror, etc., and she was perfect for catching that nap, in the Edgewater tunnel, with the exhuast stack lined up underneath a ventilator shaft, while waiting for Buda's alarm clock to wake us up, for our return to duty :wink: Regards

by n01jd1

[quote="sallenparks"]More six axled ALCO's/or MLW where do they think they can get those from there ALCO order books but it is just here say possibleities could be more Cartier or ED BOWER's C630m's 2028 2029 maybe C630 34 then of course there is G.E's 5000 M630u and I think there is an NdeM M630 still around guess will have to wait and see though.[/quot

Whoa! Its a bit hard to decipher your post!! As to where Wally intends to get more Alco's or MLW's, its anyones guess. I had heard a rumour that Wally was looking at picking up a Minnesota Commercial six axle MLW, but that hasnt happened.....yet. Who knows, maybe Wally WILL troll down in Mexico for operable units. After all, The NYSW has been looking more like a Mexican railroad than a prosperous US regional railroad for quite some time. Maybe he will pick up some ex FNM RSD12's and RSD15's??? How about some ex FCP Alco C628's?? How about some RS11's or M420W's for local service?? All of these locomotives were operable into the mid to late 1990's!! Of course for some prime illegal alien Mexican power, I would bet on the ex BCRail M630's and M630W's FNM picked up in the 1990's as they would be in the best shape. Time will only tell. I sincerely hope Wally comes to his senses and buy some good power like some SD40-2's/SD40T-2's or some SD50's/SD60's.

by sallenparks

O.K. sorry I was thinking on the fly didn't watch my spelling my bad.I was just say that the big sixies are hard to come by now a days and that if NYS&W wants more things as their being called there are few pockets left. ex. being the C630m's own by ED BOWERS or like the HR616's owned by NRE or maybe the M636-CAT MNNR has. The RAILROAD PRESS had said NdeM M630 8611 was still around Cartier still has 5to7 M636's left and last instead of a museum getting C630 34 maybe they could as well as G.E. M630u 5000 because 706 is going to the DL. that's all I meant sorry to confuse.Once again that's ownly if the NYS&W wants more of the things.

by Lackawanna484

The 116 was based in Cortland for most of 2004, switching the local industries. Usually kept on the siding in a well lighted PM location.

Nice engine, well maintained, nearly 60 year old locomotive. Birthed in 1948, for those who keep track of such things. Mr Button deserves a vote of thanks for his efforts in keeping this hometown (Norwich NY) locomotive alive and running.

by cjvrr

It was reported elsewhere that the 116 was in Binghamton working the Frito Lay factory within the last week or so. I had seen it there last winter too.

John,

You forgot about the four tunnel motors...

SD40-2T 3010-3016

Is that the correct?

Where is the 120 based? I haven't seen that in quite a while.

by n01jd1

cjvrr wrote:It was reported elsewhere that the 116 was in Binghamton working the Frito Lay factory within the last week or so. I had seen it there last winter too.

John,

You forgot about the four tunnel motors...

SD40-2T 3010-3016

Is that the correct?

Where is the 120 based? I haven't seen that in quite a while.
Ooops! I guess I did forget to include the tunnel motors!! Yes, they are numbered 3010-3016. 3012 &3016 are in NYSW paint. I have edited my original post to include them in the roster. I have also added 116 to the list of leased units since it is not owned by the NYSW itself. I havent seen the 120 in eons, I dont know where it is currently assigned if it is even in service.

by GOLDEN-ARM

That 120 was another unit I will never miss. It was noisy, vibrated excessively, threw oil and smaked heavily, and the wheels would slip just thinking about pulling a car :wink: The 116 would outpull the 120 any day of the week. It was well suited, for the couple of cars a day, we handled on the SIRT, but given the chance, I even preferred the RV engine, for local switching. We used to run the SIRT, then we would drive to RV instead of running the engine over there, so we could get done faster, due to the slow loading, and slippery wheels, on the 120. That unit was short lived, on any job it was assigned to, as crews would invent reasons to take it out of service, so they could have a better engine. There was a reason the B&O left it behind, when they pulled out of Staten Island, and it didn't get any better, on the Suzy. Regards :-D

by njt4172

n01jd1 wrote:
sallenparks wrote:More six axled ALCO's/or MLW where do they think they can get those from there ALCO order books but it is just here say possibleities could be more Cartier or ED BOWER's C630m's 2028 2029 maybe C630 34 then of course there is G.E's 5000 M630u and I think there is an NdeM M630 still around guess will have to wait and see though.[/quot

Whoa! Its a bit hard to decipher your post!! As to where Wally intends to get more Alco's or MLW's, its anyones guess. I had heard a rumour that Wally was looking at picking up a Minnesota Commercial six axle MLW, but that hasnt happened.....yet. Who knows, maybe Wally WILL troll down in Mexico for operable units. After all, The NYSW has been looking more like a Mexican railroad than a prosperous US regional railroad for quite some time. Maybe he will pick up some ex FNM RSD12's and RSD15's??? How about some ex FCP Alco C628's?? How about some RS11's or M420W's for local service?? All of these locomotives were operable into the mid to late 1990's!! Of course for some prime illegal alien Mexican power, I would bet on the ex BCRail M630's and M630W's FNM picked up in the 1990's as they would be in the best shape. Time will only tell. I sincerely hope Wally comes to his senses and buy some good power like some SD40-2's/SD40T-2's or some SD50's/SD60's.

Ummm, You say Wally is going to Mexico to look for operable units??? Well if that is the case he mine as well resurect the old EL/NJDOT U-34's that are currently working in Monterrey.....

Steve