Railroad Forums 

• How many units does NYS&W have?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#172868  by railroadcarmover

2 years ago i was up at Utica inspecting my #2209 unit. #120 was in the deadline. I was told #120 needed power assemblies. It also appeared to have friction bearing trucks.

#172968  by ANDY117

So is the 3636 coming back or not? And yes, 116 is up here sandwiched between tank cars at frito lay as of Saturday. And what happened to 2208? Did it die or something? It's been on the same bumper track for months now.

#174917  by ANDY117

I forgot where it was asked, but the 1802 is up here. Same as the 116 (still at frito lay as of yesterday night). 2012, 1802, and one of the 2060 series were switching. 3010 and 3634 were on the BH-1. And 47 is now the 3668.

#175612  by PVRX

As of this morning, and this afternoon, there were three units at the Ridgefield Park facility: GP18 1804, exP&W 2314, and GP20 206_?

#179122  by Steve F45

well this afternoon i drove past RP on my way to pick up a police app. And saw nothing but to grossness. All the units there were pretty old looking, not to well maintained. I saw 3020 which looked like an old SP with up paint where the #'s are and black for mostly the rear, some old bullnose looking for i think was 3010, 2 of those newer/older red&black 30?? and 18??. I couldn't get pics, its been raining all day and they were parked under rt46 so a place ot park was nowhere to be found.

#192480  by AmtrakFan

Why doesn't the NYSW just buy there own units and recall the SD70M's?

#192774  by Lackawanna484

AmtrakFan wrote:Why doesn't the NYSW just buy there own units and recall the SD70M's?
NYSW has been adept at playing the used vs new (lease) game for decades.

When more or less reliable older power like the SD45s and F45s were going for a few thousand each, Suskie bought them. Cheaper by far then buying or leasing expensive new power.

When EMD and GE were giving away power in sweetheart leasing deals, Suskie leased the B40-8 and SD70 units. If I&O wants to pay the lease on the SD70s when older power is again cheap, that's just fine with NYSW.

There's a glut of SD40-2 power coming off lease on the majors, so that such depress used loco prices some more...

#211218  by frank754

Does anyone have any links for photos of the E-9's?
I saw a beautifully spotless photo op for the pair of them (I thought they were F units at the time) at Chenango Forks around '95 but didn't have my camera. I grew up near Hawthorne NJ, but lived upstate in the 80's and a few years in the 90'.
Also, I did see one pic of the ex-O&W loco, but any others would be appreciated.