• How long/short do Commuter Rail Platforms have to be?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by benltrain

trenton was only made that way nor septa/NJT connections

by Irish Chieftain

Define "only made that way". IIRC, Trenton was a terminus for local PRR commuter trains coming out of NYP and Exchange Place. If a station is "made that way" per se, there is a definite purpose.

by benltrain

i'm saying none of those regular trains was 20 cars- the reason Trenton has a 20 car platform is solely for transters to the north or south

by PRRGuy

NICTD has platforms from 2 cars to 8 cars long. I know Metra Electric has mostly 6 car platforms.

by doepack

Except on the main line between 75th and Kensington, where two car platforms are the norm. But then, most of those stations are flag stops anyway...

by PRRGuy

Really? I knew there were a few 2 car ones out there. I never could get a clear picture passing by at 55 mph lol.

by pennsy

Hi All,

Metrolink stations are quite long and can easily accomodate trains of ten cars. So far the most I have ever seen was six cars. I would imagine that with ten cars the train would have an F-59 at both ends. At LATC, the tracks accomodate two trains each. I recently left from LATC on the San Bernardino line from track 7B. 7A was the same track but in front of us, and that train left first. Metrolink uses tracks three through ten. All can take two trains. Each train has a maximum of six cars, usually four.

by benltrain

SEPTA does this very well (at least something). Most of their stations are about the right length.

by pennsy

Hi,

Nice to know that SEPTA is that busy. However, during rush hours you can see up to 16 trains at once sitting on the LATC (LAUS) tracks, ready to to, or just arriving. Can you beat that one ???

by benltrain

Uh, I meant they make their platforms the right length. Our revenue trains usually max out around 8 cars; however, Silverliner deadheads (trainsets together) can be VERY long—I haven't seen 16, but I am sure it could happen.

by M&Eman

Just to compare, on NJT, the smallest (non-dinky) trains are 2-car MU's and diesel push-pulls. Our longest trains are 12-MU's (and 2 12-car electric push pull sets as well). Only the NEC sees trains longer than ten cars. Trenton acts much like LAUPT and Center City Philly with two trains to a platform. NYP and Hoboken both only have 8-car platforms. The longest single train platform is the 14-car platform at Princeton Junction. The shortest legnths are zero, at Finderne and Manasquan. Yes, we have two platform-less stations. Standards vary by line.

by benltrain

Where are the two-car MUs? Gladstone Branch?

by Irish Chieftain

M&Eman wrote:NYP and Hoboken both only have 8-car platforms
Only Tracks 1 through 4 at NY Penn have the short capacity thereof—the rest of the platforms can support trains of 16-20 cars (maybe longer). NJT shortened the usable length of Hoboken Terminal's platforms since that station no longer has long-distance passenger rail service.
The shortest legnths are zero, at Finderne and Manasquan
Manasquan Station has a gravel platform. The configuration looks like there was a track that was originally closer to the paved area. As for Finderne, there was more of a station during the CNJ era; of course, for a train station that sees a mere three trains per day, investment is not a priority.

Incidentally, tracks 1, 2 3 and 4 at Newark Penn Station (NJ) have platforms that could potentially service trains with lengths of 30 cars or possibly longer.
Standards vary by line
They vary by individual station, not by line.
Trenton acts much like LAUPT and Center City Philly with two trains to a platform
So does NY Penn. I have seen NJT and Amtrak trains sharing the same track.

by M&Eman

benltrain wrote:Where are the two-car MUs? Gladstone Branch?
Yes, off-peak Gladstone trains have 2-3 cars each. Trainsets are coupled together for the longer peak trains.

by pennsy

Hi All,

If I remember correctly, the Princeton Scoot is usually about two cars in length. Probably during rush hours it is longer.