Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by mpereira123

Recently, I've been trying to figure out how quickly we're moving when the train reaches "full speed." Sometimes we really rocket through the tunnel, other times we kind of amble through it. Beyond Woodside my train also often moves fairly quickly. However, when my line passes an expressway, it's usually perpendicular to it, so I can't judge the speed of the train based on the speed of cars beside it. However, based on the speed at which objects rush by the window, and one stretch of the Van Wyck where you can see cars moving in the same direction as the train, I'd estimate that we're moving between 50 and 60 mph. Is this accurate?

I believe I'm riding on "M7" trains most of the time (Port Washington Line), but some of them seem considerably older... Are the newer trains faster?

by Clem

The train at this location is probably operating considerably faster, perhaps 70 or 80 MPH. In the tunnels, 65 to 75 is perhaps the norm.

If you can find the mileposts on the side of the right-of-way you can time the speed.

Clem

by NIMBYkiller

MAS on the PW AFAIK is 60mph west of Great Neck, except for I think the Winfield curve, which I think is 45mph. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  by mpereira123

Where is the Winfield Curve!?

by Trains

Or take a handheld gps, they won't work in the tunnels, but anywhere above ground they work very well. Next time I go home by train, i'll try to remember to bring it with me.

by NIMBYkiller

Winfield is where the PW line curves off from the main line, just east of Woodside.

by 9C1LT1

Hi NIMBY,

Well here are some Port Wash branch speeds for you:
First Curve east of Woodside (Winfield?) is 40

Your right MAS between Harold and Neck is 60
MAS between Neck and Port Wash (end of block) is 50

There are several curve restrictions in both areas.

-Barry
  by Frank

mpereira123 wrote:I believe I'm riding on "M7" trains most of the time (Port Washington Line), but some of them seem considerably older... Are the newer trains faster?
The newer trains don't go any faster than the older trains. All electric MU trains top out at 80mph, while all diesel trains max out at 65mph.

by DutchRailnut

Max speed does have nothing to do with maxing out, all LIRR electric equipment is rated at max. 100 mph, the Diesels are rated at 100 as well I believe, the timetable speeds are just lower.
  by Noel Weaver

The last time I checked, the maximum speed in the East River Tunnels
(Lines) was 60 MPH.
Noel Weaver

by li7039

DutchRailnut wrote:Max speed does have nothing to do with maxing out, all LIRR electric equipment is rated at max. 100 mph, the Diesels are rated at 100 as well I believe, the timetable speeds are just lower.
what were the geeps mps and fa rated with p72 p75 zip cars or what ever they were
  by timz

Frank wrote:all diesel trains max out at 65mph.
On this board it seems to be hard to get the straight dope on diesel speed limits-- but it seems DE/DMs are allowed 80 in some electric territory. Whether the DMs are allowed 80 when running on third rail power...

In any case, I've ridden behind DMs doing 75 or a bit more west of Hicksville.

by Frank

DutchRailnut wrote:Max speed does have nothing to do with maxing out, all LIRR electric equipment is rated at max. 100 mph, the Diesels are rated at 100 as well I believe, the timetable speeds are just lower.
I was talking about the ASC speed settings the trains have. That's what I meant.

by trackml2

To clear the air: (again)

Diesels with DM/DE's can do 65 in non-electrified areas and 80 anywhere there is third rail.

Diesels used for work trains #'s 150-172 can never do more than 45 when connected to a train and 40 when running either 1 or 10 engines with no cars.

The GP-38 engines (NYAR) #200 series can never do more than 45 when connected to a train and 45 when running either 1 or 10 engines with no cars.

Of course these diesels are the old psgr equip and when used in psge servive were allowed to do 65.

M1/M3/M7 can do 80 anywhere ( of course where there is 3rd rail )

And as always, there are plenty restrictions to the above mentioned MAS's

by timz

trackml2 wrote:To clear the air: (again)

Diesels with DM/DE's can do 65 in non-electrified areas and 80 anywhere there is third rail.

And as always, there are plenty restrictions to the above mentioned MAS's
And DMs can do 80 when powered by the third rail?