Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Acela82

Does anyone knows how far the third rail is extended north from grand central? And so, on which routes are used the P32´s and on which ones electric railcars?

by Swedish Meatball

Hudson line: Just North of Croton Harmon CP 35?? Harlem Line: Just North of South East station. New Haven Line: Changeover is just west of Pelham station, over head wire is used from their up. Ask DutchRailNut for exact mile posts. The P32's are used on all lines except for New Canaan branch. Electrics are used on the Hudson up to Croton Harmon. Harlem line up to South East (formely Brewster North ie. Putnam Junction). The New Haven electrics are used on the Main Line up to New Haven, (Mill River Amtrak territory), and on the New Canaan branch. I hope this helps.

by Acela82

Otto, thanks for the link, but the map don´t show me where the third rail ends... ;-)

by metrarider

Acela82 wrote:Otto, thanks for the link, but the map don´t show me where the third rail ends... ;-)
3rd Rail ends as follows (restating the earlier post by swedish meatball). Using the map, you can visualise this.

Hudson Line : 3rd rail ends @ Croton - Harmon. Services starting at or south of Croton are electric MU equipment. Services starting north of Croton are P-32 hauled.

Harlem Line ; 3rd rail ends @ Southeast. Services starting north of Southeast are P-32 hauled, otherwise Electric MU hauled. Harlem line only sees through P-32 service in rush hours, otherwise service north of Southeast is shuttle which may be hauled by a P-32, FL-9 or F-10

New Haven : 3rd rail ends near Pelham, where Catenary starts. The line is fully electrified excluding the Waterbury and Danbury branches, which have P-32, FL-9 or F-10 hauled trains. At rush hour Danbury trains run through to GCT.

(edited - no waterbury through service)
Last edited by metrarider on Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Swedish Meatball

Metrarider is correct except for run thru service from Waterbury. The farthest train will go to Stamford for a connection.

by Swedish Meatball

Train #1951 runs thru to Stamford, it leaves Waterbury at 0917 hrs.

by Otto Vondrak

The map doesn't show where third rail ends, but it does show where all these otherwise random towns are that we've been telling you about.

THIS MAP shows third rail territory (routes are highlighted):

http://www.tsny.com/otto/rrmaps/map_mn_thirdrail.gif

-otto-

by F23A4

Otto Vondrak wrote:The map doesn't show where third rail ends, but it does show where all these otherwise random towns are that we've been telling you about.

-otto-
Nice Otto. Looks like 3rd rail is barely used on the New Haven line. The MTA could almost run this out of Penn Station and not bother with 3rd rail useage on the New Haven line. :wink:

by Lackawanna484

F23A4 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:The map doesn't show where third rail ends, but it does show where all these otherwise random towns are that we've been telling you about.

-otto-
Nice Otto. Looks like 3rd rail is barely used on the New Haven line. The MTA could almost run this out of Penn Station and not bother with 3rd rail useage on the New Haven line. :wink:
------------------

except there's no space available at NY Penn. It might more sense to stick a set of third rail shoes on the Bos-NY Acela Express and run it into GCT. Close to all those Park Avenue hedge fund managers and investment bankers

etc

by Noel Weaver

It would take a whole lot more than just third rail shoes to get an Acela
Express train into Grand Central.
Not likely to ever happen.
Noel Weaver

by Otto Vondrak

We've discussed this in the past, I think... third rail in Penn Station is LIRR over-riding style, versus MN which is NYC under-riding style. Not to mention that cab signal systems are not compatible, either. Add in the fact that Penn Station is already beyond capacity, don't look for additional trains there anytime soon (why do you think they are trying to plan additional LIRR Manhattan terminals at places other than Penn Station?).

-otto-

by Lackawanna484

Otto Vondrak wrote:We've discussed this in the past, I think... third rail in Penn Station is LIRR over-riding style, versus MN which is NYC under-riding style.

-otto-
----------------------

Otto, does Amtrak use third rail shoes on its NYP to Boston services? I thought they relied entirely on overhead pans? My point was installing new shoes on the Acela to get them into GCT.

Cab signals would be a fatal problem, but NYNH&H managed to operate with compatible cab signals on both the Hell Gate Route and GCT route...

by Otto Vondrak

Why do we want Acela in GCT? First, I could be wrong, but I dont think Acela is designed to run on 600v DC, I think only off the pans. Second, Amtrak consolidated all their New York service to Penn Station to avoid the awkward crosstown transfer to Penn Station.

-otto-

by Lackawanna484

Otto Vondrak wrote:Why do we want Acela in GCT? First, I could be wrong, but I dont think Acela is designed to run on 600v DC, I think only off the pans. Second, Amtrak consolidated all their New York service to Penn Station to avoid the awkward crosstown transfer to Penn Station.

-otto-
-----------------

I figured Amtrak might want to put its premium service at least partly where its most affluent customers work. The number of investment managers, hedge funds within a few blocks of GCT is greater than anywhere except in the Wall Street area.

With respect to Acela Express service, I'd be surprised if more than a tiny % of customers ride through NYC. So originating a few trains at GCT wouldn't create a crosstown transfer for many folks...