• Horns Sounding But Not Near Crossings

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by One of One-Sixty

Okay I live in Carle Place right off of Jericho tpke and Glen Cove Rd so I am very close to the Main line and the OB branch.

Generally I can tell if a train is on the OB or Main as I can hear all the desiels no matter if it is NY&A or the LIRR's DE/DMs.

But lately I have notice trains sounding off the horns as they approach the Glen Cove rd overpass at night even though they are no where near The Roslyn Rd or School. And with the new FRA rules on horn use I find it a bit strange to hear them sounding the horn going over glen Cove.

Is there any night work going on or something? Not that I am complaining as I love the sound of the horns and now I can set my watch by the trains.

BTW I know it is not the NY&A as their horns have that distinct sound to it.

by Nasadowsk

Could be track work or trespassers. They *are* allowed to sound the horn for danger...

AFAIK, that also applies to 'no horn' zones in places (though not LI yet), i.e. if they see a person crossing the tracks or a car or whatnot, they can blast all they want.

by mark777

There's a lot of track work going on this month at many locations around the property. Engineers are required to sound 14L in the presence of Roadway workers to insure safety. Horns are not just sounded at crossings.

by One of One-Sixty

I know that horns are not just for crossing, I am just trying to figure out what is going on at 2 and 3 in the morning for them to be blowing. Like I said I am not companing, just baffled that they are blowing while going over Glen Cove Rd.

by pineywoodsman

I've seen some track work going on around the Glen Cove road overpass. I notice that LIRR trains sound their horn for track workers but do not slow down like on the NY subway.
However, when there's a malfunctioning crossing gate (usually workers and MTA PD on scene) the train does slow down to 20mph or so.

by emfinite

Could it be track cars blowing their horns? The past few times last week that I went through that area around 1-2AM, there have been many track cars. I would place my bet on that.

Joe

by M1 9147

Working near Huntington Station, and the many crossings, there, 14L is sounded many times, so yes it is strictly enforced around Huntington. JT, nice FL9 Pic!