Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MetraBNSF

Unless its just me, engineers sounding the cab car horns on arriving trains into the south tracks at CUS seems to be a frequent occurance. It happens most often in the morning when an inbound train is arriving and it turns into an outbound train and in the afternoon when an inbound train is coming from the road to make a second afternoon trip. I never see people walking on the station tracks, but sometimes people walk too close to the platform when a train is pulling in which necesitates the engineer to sound the horn. The horn is usually sounded with one or two short pulses, but enough to get your attention in the gate area of CUS's south concourse. Does horn blowing occur as trains are pulling into any of the other downtown terminals?

by qboy

Working out of CPT (Olgivie Station) unless someone is doing something really stupid or not paying attention I can't recall myself ever blowing the horn coming in to the depot yet. As for the Car department and the MIC's upon inspections of the equipment the will test the horns on the cab cars which can catch a lot of folks off guard including myself. From your description of the horn sound. Are there any matinence employees or personel around wearing orange vest or hard hats within the vicinty of the tracks. If that is the case the engineer is required to sound the whistle for M&E, MofW on, or around the track. Thats the case for us on the UP coming thru Lake st. Interlocking when MofW are around or at the platform.

by MetraBNSF

Usually the maintenance employees are well away from the concourse tracks as a train pulls in. The engineer sounds the horn as the train pulls in if commuters are too close to the edge of the platform. Imagine walking in the walkway to the parking garage (which is located next to track 2) which is seperated by glass and the engineer decides to blow the horn on the incoming train, and it does happen occasionally.