• Hoosac Tunnel Discussion & News

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by JohnK

Approximately how often do freight trains go through the Hoosac Tunnel?

Also, years ago (1980s), a Massachusetts railfan group used to run railfan specials to, and through, the tunnel, using Amtrak coaches. Is this done anymore? If not, approximately when was the last time?

Thank you,
-John K.

by B&MYoshi

I would say about 10 trains in a day. Anyone to confirm?

There is one train to CP Mohawk Yard and one train back.
There is at least one train to Selkirk and at least one back to ED.
There are is at least 1 coal train each direction.
I believe there is at least 1 train to Ayer from Selkirk and 1 train to Rigby from Selkirk, with one back from each location.
That would give about 10, but this is Guilfid/Pan Am

I doubt the club is still doing it, because I don't see the current management of the line being too hospitable.

Was this club "The Railroad Enthusiasts, Inc.-The New England Division"? I have a introduction document from a trip they did over the line in '69, which is why I was thinking it might be them.

by dcm74

JohnK wrote:Approximately how often do freight trains go through the Hoosac Tunnel?

Also, years ago (1980s), a Massachusetts railfan group used to run railfan specials to, and through, the tunnel, using Amtrak coaches. Is this done anymore? If not, approximately when was the last time?

Thank you,
-John K.
A number of the trips in the 1980's were run by the Mystic Valley Railway Society. The original trips used MBTA equipment and started out of North Station using the entire Fitchburg Line. Later trips used Amtrak equipment and originated at South Station. These trips went west to Springfield on Conrail (now CSX), then north on B&M"s Conn River Line to Greenfield and then west to Hoosac Tunnel and beyond.
I think the trips ended when Guilford ceased to be a commuter rail operator for the MBTA.
  by gprimr1

One issue I'm having trouble finding information on is what is the legal status of the area around the tunnel portals. Is there a place I can legally railfan? This tunnel looks like a great place to go.

Also, how's the parking?
  by cpf354

gprimr1 wrote:One issue I'm having trouble finding information on is what is the legal status of the area around the tunnel portals. Is there a place I can legally railfan? This tunnel looks like a great place to go.

Also, how's the parking?
It's railroad property posted against trespassing. You can view the railroad legally from the public crossing at East Portal, and park legally on the public roadway.
However, there are many at the East Portal, non-railfan and railfan alike, who park and railfan on railroad property illegally.
The West Portal is only accessible by from railroad property. Again, many locals and fans disregard the no trespassing warning to gain access to it.

by gprimr1

Sounds like a job for the telephoto lense.
  by SPACEMONKEY

Well it's trespassing but who is going to enforce it? I would say do whatever you want, just don't get stuck in the tunnel with a train coming that would be creepy!
  by Noel Weaver

SPACEMONKEY wrote:Well it's trespassing but who is going to enforce it? I would say do whatever you want, just don't get stuck in the tunnel with a train coming that would be creepy!
This is NEVER good advice and in this case, it is TERRIBLE advice.
Tunnels are never safe for walking in even for employees much less
trespassers. There is poor to no light and tripping hazzards, possible
water leaks, bats which are big time carriers of rabies and a host of other
hazzards. Heaven forbid a train approach you while you are doing
something like this, consequences could be deadly not just "creepy".
I would think that you would get better pictures elsewhere.
Noel Weaver
  by SPACEMONKEY

You were right on until you started with the bats!! lol, that's funny! and CREEPY!! hahhahah
  by CN9634

SPACEMONKEY wrote:Well it's trespassing but who is going to enforce it? I would say do whatever you want, just don't get stuck in the tunnel with a train coming that would be creepy!
Worst advice ever. Sorry man but I really think you should keep advice positive (And maybe I should keep my opinion to myself? haha oh well)

by Noel Weaver

Not to do with Guilford but don't laugh, most of the tunnels on the CSX
former New York Central River Line (now River Subdivision) have or at
least in my time had bats in them. Especially infested was West Point and
we always had one or more flying about in our headlight. Sometimes we
even saw them in the Weehawken tunnel where NJT today has a light rail
station in the middle of this tunnel, I wonder if they still have the bats or
whether they found a way to get rid of them.
I'll bet that Hoosac Tunnel is real snake country too. I don't like them
either.
Noel Weaver

by l008com

Wouldn't the exhaust from a bunch of locomotives on the head of a train kill most animals living in the tunnel, or at least persuade them to leave?
  by SPACEMONKEY

CN9634 wrote:
Worst advice ever. Sorry man but I really think you should keep advice positive (And maybe I should keep my opinion to myself? haha oh well)
No problem, I just don't take this or any (web site advice) all that serious, maybe some do; but I respect your opinion and accept your apology :-D
  by jkrail

gprimr1 wrote:One issue I'm having trouble finding information on is what is the legal status of the area around the tunnel portals. Is there a place I can legally railfan? This tunnel looks like a great place to go.

Also, how's the parking?
The legal status on the parking areas is as follows....
All of the parking near the tunnel is owned by the railroad.
Do not park on the tunnel side of the road. (Where everybody parks)
Past practice is on the river side of the road near the "Deerfield Catch and Release" sign is allowed.
The railroad gets upset if anybody walks near the portal or on the bridge.
I hope this clears this up for you.
Jerry
  by amtrakhogger

When did the B&M abandon the Plymouth-Woodsville segment and what
was it's designation?

I stumbled upon the line while driving west from N. Woodstock towards
Woodsville along NH 25.