Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1309695  by Slippy

It should come to no surprise that the hiring practices within state agencies nationwide can be a bit skewed and the Long Island Railroad Co. is no exception. What should make for a decent spread in the Sunday edition of Newsday outlining affirmative action exercised to meet "quotas." No longer are we hiring the best qualified candidates for jobs. Readers for the online subscription for Newsday are up in arms, shockingly. It should also be duly noted that the LIRR wants to employ people reflecting the communities it serves, specifically the demographic of the Hollis/Jamaica area.
The LIRR says it has achieved, or is near, most of its federally regulated goals for minority representation throughout the railroad, but acknowledges it can do more, especially in the hiring of women and Hispanics.

The LIRR's diversity goals are set using a federally regulated formula involving the pool of internal candidates and a transportation agency's geographic location -- in the LIRR's case, Nassau, Suffolk and New York City.

As of March 31, about 34 percent of the LIRR's 6,847 employees were minorities, including 17.5 percent who are black, according to MTA figures. Through the end of September, 50 percent of all new hires at the LIRR were minorities, including 19 percent blacks.

In comparison, 47 percent of Metro-North hires during the same period were minorities, including 20 percent who were black.

"We are improving," said Michael Fyffe, the LIRR's director of diversity management. "We're not where we should be in a lot of areas, but there's definitely marked improvement."

MTA board member John Molloy of Wantagh, who chairs the MTA's diversity committee, agreed that the agency has been "moving in the right direction" in recent years. But, he said, the MTA still has a long way to go in representation of women and Hispanics.

Although 72 percent of the 4,600 people the MTA hired in the first nine months of 2014 were minorities, only 20 percent were female and just 18 percent were Hispanic.

"Those areas, I think, are going to take some heavy lifting," said Molloy, who encouraged the MTA to build better relationships with colleges to introduce young people to careers in the authority. "You may not be able to get them today, but you might be able to get them tomorrow."
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/long ... -1.9752143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1309718  by emfinite

I hear almost exclusively Hispanic Block Operator trainees on the train radios as of late, so that explains that!
 #1309771  by Datenail

Slippy, although the hiring on the LIRR is based on racial quotas, each of those candidates are hand picked by experts in human resources. The simple fact is, that most traditional eurocentric employment candidates cannot read or pass the tests. We have no choice but to tap into the pool of educated and hard working minorities that are in abundance in the geographical areas of Hollis and Jamaica. We are blessed to have this underutilized resource, who will clean up the vast mistakes of the past. These willing hands, will propel the LIRR into the realm of iconic institutions that will rebuild the image and standing in the world of our great United States. I believe we all agree, that beginning with the visionary, Helena Williams and continuing under the new administration, our railroad has never run better nor been staffed by more qualified people, as it is today. Without diversity in our workforce, the LIRR probably would have been another fallen flag in the ash heap of history. Consider yourself gifted, for being employed by a forward thinking, amazing and dynamic organization, such as the Long Island Rail Road.
 #1309774  by alchemist

Something wrong with my calendar. It says December 28, but it must really be April 1.
 #1309911  by Liquidcamphor

I would like those on here to think about what they are saying when they write in this forum. Everyone has given something to this Country and no one should be offended, maligned or degraded by anyone. I have worked with many fine people of all backgrounds and this forum should be fun and informative. Not an outlet for someones political views or opinions of what race, creed, etc., is qualified for a railroad job. Think about your coworkers who you are working with side by side, everyday and spending your working years together. Do you want to offend or demean them? Of course not, so I am simply asking that you think about the fine people you work with, before you write something on here.

What Mr. Clark described in his Newsday interview was true and I remember people who treated others the way he described. He was also quick to remind the interviewer, that most employees were gracious and accepting to him, throughout his career. I remember him and will say that he was always a gentleman and am pleased that he hit the number one spot. He is a member of a minority group and is in no way, less qualified for his job, than any other employee. So I'll ask this again. Please think of others, before you write.
 #1310096  by onorclose7

Liquid, you seem to be detached from reality. I too work with many great people from various backgrounds but many of the people that they are hiring lately seem to lack in the brain department. Not sure if you are retired or currently working, but it ain't what it used to be. I'm sure that you ll delete this post like you usually do to any of my posts that are a little too much truth for your world. It's ok, I won't lose any sleep over it.
 #1310118  by nyandw

To chime in a bit as a non-employee, as I did last week, Liquid has maintained a reasonable middle of road approach to handling this forum, yes in only my opinion. Having stated the usual disclaimer:

His last post seemed to request to find common ground amongst posters to address the issue(s), via facts, rather then label the poster(s) with denigrations. He as an accomplished LIRR railroad professional ( as best I know), to write", "..you seem to be detached from reality.." is unnecessary.

How would this be the case and in what, why is he detached from reality ? What stats, links, studies, papers, or any data that suggests so, or... is it as merely an emotional disagreement viewpoint....

Yes, perhaps the recent hiring practices reflect a lowered quality "brain" level. (whether it is opinion or fact... sidebar: I'll concur in general with you)... BUT,

Rather then go to the Hiring issue Liquid is: "detached from reality.." to start the response. Then the deletion of posts he doesn't like... Go back through this his history on this thread, as it is available, and review it.

You indicate the truth is needed: Post it, link, provide it... unless sleeping well is the answer...

This post looked like it was going to Hell last week, I recall. Locked and reopened.... again. My outsider view: new thread, same nonsense... attacks, no facts. AND now I'm guilty of the same nonsense... EXCEPT, no disparagement of anyone in this thread (I hope)...

ALL:
In closing, I sure wish, rather then composing this reply, I could have spent the last 20 minutes reading factual information about LIRR current hiring practices. I have yet to see a chart, graph, link, whatever, etc. that can be of factual or historical value.... zzzzzzz

too work with many great people from various backgrounds but many of the people that they are hiring lately seem to lack in the brain department. Not sure if you are retired or currently working, but it ain't what it used to be. I'm sure that you ll delete this post like you usually do to any of my posts that are a little too much truth for your world. It's ok, I won't lose any sleep over it.
 #1310122  by onorclose7

I don't need charts & studies. I live it everyday when I report for duty. It may very well be a society issue, but I have friends of mine who would make excellent employees but never even get called for an interview in spite of applying month after month. Used to be that you could drop off a resume & they would at lesst be considered. Family members were given a shot no matter what. Those practices were eliminated by the previous regime. A major mistake in my opinion.
 #1310178  by Slippy

Steve - There is relevance to my posting of this news article on here because how many times have we had people come onto these forums asking for employment help? I've been a lurker on here for over ten years and have seen many discussions. Perhaps an article such as this would explain the reason why they haven't been called for a testing session/interview/invitation for employment. Steve, I will even go as far as to tell you one measure in place how they are dealing with nepotism or people being "referred" to the job. If you are a member of the interviewing panel, you must sign a waiver stating you have no relation or knowing of any of the applicants being interviewed and signed by your immediate supervisor. They have even terminated someone's probation after being hired once they find out they are related to someone. I have also heard of people having their employment invite being rescinded for the same.

I did not cite any specific race or gender in my post, nor have mentioned anything about Mr. Clarke so I find your hypothesis irrelevant. I wholeheartedly agree with LC, our moderator in what he said. I will also agree with OOC7 that currently, the LIRR is going through some tough times with morale and the crop of people they're hiring. It's making good employees who have been loyal and passionate about their career disgruntled.
 #1310220  by Doc Emmet Brown

Was friends with Greg, worked with him many times, have been to his house. Went out after work with him and the crew several times. We kind of lost touch since I moved to Illinois. I did not read the article, since I am not a newsday subscriber.
He had a great job, he was promoted to Road foreman, and was a supervisor for several years.
At one point when we still had to throw the switches in Port Wash, I had trouble with passengers who were crowding near the door when I had to key it open to go out and throw the switch. It was an unsafe situation, because I then had to close the door and walk to the next switch while the train moved up. When I had to reopen the door, passengers were sometimes leaning on it. Got to the point that I refused to open the door until people moved out of the vestibule. Anyway, as a result some passengers wrote letters and I was called in to explain. Greg went to bat for me, saying he used to work that train with me and he understood my concerns. So the Matter was dropped.
I worked for the RR before they allowed women to be Engineers and Conductors. I can tell you there was a lot of anger from the old timers when they started hiring Women and Minorities, they did not like it at all. I was only 19 or 20 when they started doing it, so I had an open mind about it. My Mother was a nurse, certainly if a woman can be a nurse, they can be an Engineer or Conductor.
I suppose Greg took some abuse 30 years ago when he hired on, but its a different RR now, more diverse, more women and minorities. I dont think any of that goes on anymore. Personally, to me, hiring women made the RR a much more sociable place. I liked it better after they arrived. Many people got married and you have several families of two Conductors, or an Engineer and Conductor. Im not sucking up, I really liked the place better after it became more diverse. At one point I was offered assistant Trainmaster, in 1988. At that point, I had 15 years on the RR and could make more money working as a Conductor. The point being, sometimes only younger employees will take the position, because it does not pay as well as a Conductor with more seniority. Might not be a racial thing at all. Several people were supervisors, then once they got more seniority, went back to the trains.
 #1310256  by Liquidcamphor

Onorclose7 wrote this post:
Liquid, you seem to be detached from reality. I too work with many great people from various backgrounds but many of the people that they are hiring lately seem to lack in the brain department. Not sure if you are retired or currently working, but it ain't what it used to be. I'm sure that you ll delete this post like you usually do to any of my posts that are a little too much truth for your world. It's ok, I won't lose any sleep over it.
Onorclose, I don't recall ever deleting any post by you. I have deleted posts by others, but, even then, am not quick to delete a post. I'm not the only person who moderates here. I may be detached from reality and that may be because I am retired. I will say that every generation on the railroad has complained about the new generation coming on. Your complaints and comments are nothing new. The generation you're complaining about will complain about the next one. I'm almost 70 now and look at things differently than I did when I was young. Please don't lecture me about "my world" as if I skipped through life without a care. You'll probably never experience what I have as a young man and that comment is a little out of line.
 #1310277  by nyandw

Slippy wrote:Steve - There is relevance to my posting of this news article on here because how many times have we had people come onto these forums asking for employment help?I did not cite any specific race or gender in my post, nor have mentioned anything about Mr. Clarke so I find your hypothesis irrelevant. I wholeheartedly agree with LC, our moderator in what he said. I will also agree with OOC7 that currently, the LIRR is going through some tough times with morale and the crop of people they're hiring. It's making good employees who have been loyal and passionate about their career disgruntled.
I agree with you 100%. My comments were not concerning your post at all. . Thus the "irrelevant hypothesis" towards your post are in fact totally correct My comments were directed at the the LiquidCamphor issue... and I agreed with him and thus you.
 #1310306  by onorclose7

Liquid., it was only a few weeks ago that you deleted some posts by me accusing me of starting craft warfare