Railroad Forums 

• Hiring onto Union Pacific?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1236514  by Durango1917

Hello,
I am currently on my second year of college and plan on hiring onto Union Pacific after I graduate with a bachelor's degree.
I want to hire on as a conductor and work my way up to engineer.
I read that UP has 3 tests being a reading comprehension test, a basic math test, and a physical test.
What does UP mean by basic math? Is it addition, subtraction, and multiplication?
What do they look for in the physical test?
I also used to have ADD when I was in elementary and middle school but have since outgrown it and no longer take medication for it.
Will previously having ADD disqualify me from train service even though I no longer take medication for it?
I also currently work on a farm doing irrigation, tractor work, manuel labor, trailer tags, bank out, and some mechanical work. Will that look good on my resume for UP?
I have no police record nor traffic tickets.
Many thanks,
-Durango1917
 #1237197  by WhiskeyBravo270

The only pre-hire test is the reading test. I suspect any manual labor will look good. Having a clean record is also a plus. I have not done the PAT yet but imagine they will check your range of motion, hearing, color vision, etc. I'm sure someone who has completed the process and is working will come along and fill in the gaps. Good luck with your finals. God help me with mine.