Railroad Forums 

• Hillside/Irvington industrial branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#380887  by KFC Jones

Floater- yeah I always thought it was a dubious claim, just thought I'd put it out there...

myfavs- great pictures! I guess Tuscan wasn't a consignee then. One question, is the rail intact from where your first picture is (under 78) back to the Irvington industrial track?

#381012  by myfavscr

As far as I know yes the tracks cross Hillside Ave. and connect to the
industrial spur.

#521524  by pdtrains

myfavscr wrote:As far as I know yes the tracks cross Hillside Ave. and connect to the
industrial spur.
Was just up on hillside ave for the 1st time today. Saw the spur that leaves northwesterly off the main track at Hillside ave. All OOS. I guess this continues up northwest, then northeast, under 78, and then connected back to the Irvington IT just northeast of 78????

Looked on Google earth....looks like most rail still there, but a about 30' of rail is out by hillside ave. Also 5-10 covered hopper cars on sidings down toward LV main, and lots of tank cars at the salad oil place. Crew came thru hillside around 2:30 pm

#521748  by myfavscr

Actually the tracks stop directly underneath Rt.78. If you go to
Glenwood Ave. you can see the tracks from the road.
 #790363  by ns3010

For all the times I've done the U-turn on Route 78 through Hillside, I've never actually seen a train there, except for all the tankers down at Oasis Foods.
Today, I finally saw a train there (NS 5286) pulling a string of cars East.

I don't know much about these tracks and am just curious. I searched a little, but didn't find a whole lot.

Thanks.
 #790365  by blockline4180

ns3010 wrote:For all the times I've done the U-turn on Route 78 through Hillside, I've never actually seen a train there, except for all the tankers down at Oasis Foods.
Today, I finally saw a train there (NS 5286) pulling a string of cars East.

I don't know much about these tracks and am just curious. I searched a little, but didn't find a whole lot.

Thanks.

The Irvington Industrial I believe... Branches off the Lehigh line just west of the once standing NK tower.
 #790421  by R36 Combine Coach

Former LV branch, continues up to a yard in Irvington. I recall there are two LV freight bridges over I-78 at Hillside. One I believe is abandoned. The date of both spans is 1976 (likely when the freeway was built).
 #790423  by Kaback9

Correct on the track Steve. The Irvington Ind. Served by OI-10(usual symbol i hear called) on weekdays. It comes off at MP12.7, they work afternoons evenings usually.
 #790426  by ns3010

Awesome, thanks guys.

That makes sense, since I saw it between 3 and 4 (don't remember exactly what time, wasn't paying attention) this afternoon.
 #790824  by SemperFidelis

If you poke around the area, you'll be surprised by the amount of track that is still in place next to buildings and buried in weeds and trash next to the roads.

Irvington's a nice town so try to poke around at 2 AM or so.
 #790838  by ns3010

Yeah, I was looking around on Google Earth before, and there's much more there than I thought there was.
 #790860  by Kaback9

They were working down that way today, nice ex-Con too. Could here that horn in Union on the platform.
 #795799  by crnrailalcrn

I used to work at Kaiser Alum in Hillside the building east of Bristol Myers. The tracks went thru our plant and we received carloads from various plants thru out the Kaiser System. The building is now known as Hillside Plastics at 200 Rt 22.

Box cars - Alum & Sheet & plate from Trentwood, Wa
Box cars and flat cars - Alum ingot and billet from Chalmette, La
Box cars - firebrick from Colubiana, Oh and Mexico, Mo
Tank cars of chemicals from Gramercy, La

There were about 3 deliveries per week. This continued to around 1987 and in 1989 Kaiser sold the property to Hillside Plastics.

The deliveries beyond us were Pabst brought up to a team track in Irvington, Oasis Foods not sure if that was the name then. In addition in Irvington, Manufacturers Reserve Supply which is still on Woolsey Street and may still be receiving cars.
 #1291573  by Joseph DeLuisi

The 0I-10 still serves two customers in Newark that i know of, a lumber company called Poinier Building Supplies on Frelinghuysen Ave. and AMG Resources, a scrap metal facility also on Frelinghuysen Ave.