Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by expbusop

Some type of outside contractor MOW equipment at yard across from Highbridge Cleaning Facility friday, where ties and stone cars are stored, could not get good look from Deegan, anyone know what it is?
  by freightguy

That is the GREX "slot train." It almost has the look of a work train, but is only manned and piloted by a MN track foreman. Looks like it used to pickup debris along the right-of-way. I guess this avoids using a Metro North train and engine crew. When this on the move the other day it was operated by a track foreman before tying up in Highbridge East yard under Rte. 87.
  by truck6018

freightguy wrote:That is the GREX "slot train." It almost has the look of a work train, but is only manned and piloted by a MN track foreman.....

.......I guess this avoids using a Metro North train and engine crew.
Anytime the track gang works along the ROW a track foreman is present alleviating the need for a train crew member as all track foremen are qualified on the operating rules and physical characteristics.
  by DutchRailnut

the GREX slot train is actually circumventing the labor agreements of engineers/conductors by making it seem its only one car.
they are actually 4 coupled gondola's with one having power and operating cab.
  by freightguy

Thought so, truck6018 was missing the context of my post. Definitely grabbed a few people's eyes on the property.
  by DutchRailnut

On MNCR the agreement is that any track car can only tow one car.
this Slot train is 4 cars or 1 car depending on who's eyes you see it with.
I say the name says it all slot TRAIN.