Railroad Forums 

• High-platform ridership threshold

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1633533  by krispy

Not sure when, but there was a UPS facility somewhere around LIC that fueled a handful of riders on the Lower Montauk, including a few that got on at intermediate stops. Then it was closed or moved to elsewhere and it was a just a scant few commuters and deadheading employees at the time of the service reduction. Now, given how brutal it's become to drive (cameras and just too many vehicles) I wonder how many would pick the train. I don't know if they came out with it yet, but I am curious as to what the IBX project (light rail over the Fremont Secondary) is going to estimate for the projected ridership.
 #1633620  by 4behind2

K&K are correct that opening or closing a station is completely political.

When the high level platforms were introduced in diesel territory (and most now in a state of disrepair), Glen Street was to be eliminated as a station. Political pressure mounted and the newly formed Nassau County Legislator for the district lobbied for the station to remain open. The compromise to "save money and face" was a one car platform still in use today. Perhaps some of the posters have the most recent data for ridership at Glen St.

And who can forget Amagansett? "Studied" in the winter by consultants (?) the one car platform to this day is the bane of operating personnel.