Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Hey

by LIRailfan79

why did you guys delete my last topic? gimmie a break

by Clemuel

You must have disagreed with Otto about something.

by lirrmike

What was your topic?

Mike

by LIRailfan79

i just made a short post about how i was watching the movie "Disaster on the Coastliner" (1979) last night and how i thought it was pretty good.
its about someone who hijacks a train and puts it on a collision course with another train (for revenge, becauase his wife and daughter died in a train accident a few years back and he blamed the railroad. thought they were negligent but believed that the RR paid off the official investigator).

so it was off topic, but it was still about railroading and i thought it was interesting.

by lirrmike

Sorry, I didn't see your post. And Otto or emfinite haven't left me a message saying that it was deleted. Could of been a goof with the site.

Mike

by Otto Vondrak

I must accept the blame for deleting your post in haste after midnight. Also blame the late hour and my well-known crankiness (and your off-topic thread for a tv show that aired last night - off-topic?). Sorry about that. Next time I'll leave it up to the mods.

-otto-
Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Head-end View

Railfan79: Was that the movie with LLoyd Bridges (I think) as a Secret-Service agent and E.G. Marshall as the Chief Train Dispatcher? Filmed inside a railroad's dispatching center?

by John 61

I believe that was the movie. It was from 1979. I caught about the last 30 minutes of it this time and about the last 10 minutes a few months ago. It was shown on the Metro Channel #60. I also saw a railroad related movie about 2-3 months ago on the same channel. I forgot the name but it was with Levon Helm (Drummer for the 60's group "The Band")

by Dave Keller

Try to find a copy of Buster Keaton in "The General," a silent movie from 1927.

He was a very famous comedian, who acted in a comedic version of the great locomotive chase involving "The General" which was kidnapped (train napped?) by Andrews Raiders during the Civil War.

You can't imagine the vintage train scenes in this movie, not to mention the ancient equipment: wood-burning locomotives, stations, trestles, and a great scene with Keaton versus a handcar!

Old, tall switch targets, log ties, wooden station platforms. I could go on and on.

It's like watching Matthew Brady photographs come to life!!

Any railfan with an interest in railroad history would love some of the action scenes shot IN THE CAB of the locomotive!!!

I taped a copy on VHS from a showing on TV a number of years ago. It's now in my railroad library.

Dave Keller

by Long Island 7285

Dave, I seen a clip of it. ist a great program i would like to see the rest

by John 61

I found out the other railroad related movie I saw on the Metro channel. It was called " End Of The Line" from 1988. Seems the Metro channel website hasn't been updated. I checked on the movie listings and they seem to be outdated. Heres's a link to the End of the line.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092967/

by Otto Vondrak

We have a forum dedicated to the discussion of railroads in media- television, movies, books, etc. Perhaps the moderators would like to move this thread there? This isn't really an LIRR-specific topic.

-otto-