Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by 7 Train

Important details follow-please read carefully:

You can help NYCT run the R36's on their home turf, the 7 again! Read below and see instructions:

Dear MTA New York City Transit,

In inquiring about the Centennial celebrations, we would ask that you would run 1964 R36 World's Fair (R36 WF) trainset(s) on the 7 line later this year. As you know, 2004 marks the NYC Subway Centennial and the 40th Anniversary of the 1964 World's Fair and the R36 cars.

Please run R36's on the following dates:

-mid/late October: several round-trip runs by the R36 trainset(s) a week. Weekend runs and photo-ops also provided.

-October 27-31: R36 will run daily on the 7 for the Centennial celebration.

-November/December 2004-January 2005: R36 will continue to run on the 7 with regular round-trip runs (as needed) to mark 2004 (1964 40th Birthday and Centennial year) before being permanently retired.

Please R36's bring to the their home in Corona for one last time.

Sincerely, The Undersigned

Directions:

Leave your signatures in the thread. Copy/paste/or print the petition (with your name) and mail, fax or email to NYCT by January 31, 2005

Thanks. Help them run again.
Last edited by 7 Train on Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by efin98

Why? What's the point of bringing back cars that have been retired just to please a few railfans who won't accept that they are dead and buried?

by 7 Train

Why? What's the point of bringing back cars that have been retired just to please a few railfans who won't accept that they are dead and buried?
You're not getting it. This is for them to run a last time for the NYC Subway Centennial and the 40th Anniversary of the R36 and the 1964 New York World's Fair. When I say FINAL, I'm meaning it. They deserve to run the 7, their home turf again. The IRT Low-V's, IRT SMEE's and R33-ML's can run their home turf on the IRT Main Line. (The IRT SMEE train ran on the 7 several times this year).

by efin98

They have been running, there have been several runs this past year of them on the 7 and other lines. In fact don't be surprised if they ran again for a few round trips on the 27th. Beyond the 27th there is no reason for them to be running, they have done their service and should be allowed to retire.

by Robert Paniagua

They have been running, there have been several runs this past year of them on the 7 and other lines. In fact don't be surprised if they ran again for a few round trips on the 27th. Beyond the 27th there is no reason for them to be running, they have done their service and should be allowed to retire.

You're right, Ed. And besides, they may end up "pulling off a Red Line" too, in other words breaking down and thus clogging up train traffic, so yeah, they should be used ONLY for excursions and not regular service.

And yes, I also got to even film these coaches inside out before they were tossed into the recycle bin.

by 7 Train

The revenue runs earlier this year on the 7 were by IRT SMEE's and R33-ML's. IRT Low-V's will run the IRT Main Line later this year. I would also like to see SMEE's and (museum) R33 ML's run on the ML home turf with R36's on their 7 home.

by efin98

one or two of the WF Redbirds were on the retired equiptment trains in revenue service on the 7, one of them still in 64 WF paint.

by Robert Paniagua

Ok, although it may not promise anything, but if ya'all wanna see them, then may I suggest going to the top directly, that is the management.

Although they may end up being recycled sooner than later.

by 7 Train

One week to go! Sign it now if you want to see them!

by Robert Paniagua

All right, but all I'm saying to you here is................good luck, there's no promise of them returning for regular service.

by 7 Train

The deadline has been extended through all of 2004 to January 31, 2005 to have the most (and possible) chances of having the R36's running on the 7 in 2004 in service for a final time to mark the 1964 World's Fair, the R36's 40th Anniversary and the NYC Subway Centennial year.

by Robert Paniagua

Any new word on those cars yet, now that you got a response?

by 7 Train

UPDATE 12/21/04: I have contacted the 7 Train superinterdent's main office (in Flushing) and they have sent the message to Bill Wall, head of revenue and special car operations. As soon as he approves it (and the R36's can move over to the 7), it can happen.

by efin98

It's amazing how far foamers will go despite knowing they will not succeed...

There aren't enough R36s around, they are relegated to work duties, and there is no reason whatsoever to take them out of retirement to run on the 7 line.

Why would the NYCT and the MTA WANT to unretire them? To please a few railfans? What about the hundreds of thousands of OTHER riders a day who want to just get to work and school. Why would they want to have those old trains back when they have newer trains running on the line that are much better than the old trains ever were? Why?

I am sorry to see you go through your fantasy, but it's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Ever. Vintage train runs and work trains are the only way they will ever traverse the 7 line or any other IRT line again.