• Have they stopped printing the commuter rail schedules?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Steve2112

I used to pick up my Providence/Stoughton line schedules at either South Station or Back bay - the last time I remember seeing them at Back Bay is around 4 months ago.

I went up to the window and asked for one, but the person said they only have photocopies available - so I took one of those.

I much prefer the little foldable schedule, it is just very convenient to have - 1 in the backpack/suitecase, 1 in the car, 1 in the wallet, etc.

Did they stop making them and just refer people to the PDF versions on the website? I really do miss them. They probably cost a lost to produce, and I am assuming this is probably why I can't find them anymore.

Thanks for any info.

by sjd0356

MBCR didn't print enough copies. So we've had to make photocopies to give out to the passengers. We've been out of Newburyport/Rockport schedules at North Station since before Christmas and we won't get anymore until the next schedule change which should be the end of April.

by Ron Newman

The theory was that if the T printed glossier, fancier-looking schedules, customers would take better care of them and not grab so many replacements during the middle of the time period they cover. Sounds like that isn't working out so well in practice.

by sery2831

MBCR prints the schedules, not the T. I think the T should be making them print more!

by theinsider

Ron Newman wrote:The theory was that if the T printed glossier, fancier-looking schedules, customers would take better care of them and not grab so many replacements during the middle of the time period they cover. Sounds like that isn't working out so well in practice.
The recently retired info clerk at N. Station told me that they are switching back to the old style sched's.

by sery2831

I hope that's true!

by jamesinclair

My mom was given a really nice looking T book at a hotel once. Full station schematics, color, schedules, etc. Do they still make those? I think theres a PDF online.

by octr202

They ran those a year or two ago, I believe they were printed by Kone, not the T. There was an earlier version put out by the T itself.

I got a batch from the T a while back -- haven't seen them push them since.

by octr202

theinsider wrote:
Ron Newman wrote:The theory was that if the T printed glossier, fancier-looking schedules, customers would take better care of them and not grab so many replacements during the middle of the time period they cover. Sounds like that isn't working out so well in practice.
The recently retired info clerk at N. Station told me that they are switching back to the old style sched's.
Hopefully they'll keep the much neater and cleaner layout of the new tables, while reverting to the old monochrome format. Going back to schedules that change color will be a Godsend to anyone who has to replace stocks of leftovers after a schedule change.

I always thought the logic that the new schedules "wouldn't run out as fast" was a little flawed. My typical need for new schedules is from losing one...so far, I've found the glossy ones just as easy to misplace as the old ones.