Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by 2togojoe

I am a new trainmen and was wondering where i can purchase
those cool hat pins any info would be appreciated

by Dave Keller

What new hatpins?

Elaborate for those of us that no longer reside on LI.

Thanx! :wink:

Dave Keller

by Lupo 10

A lot of LIRR conductor's now wear memorabilia pins such as cross bucks, dashing dan pins and other cool railroad related pins on their hats. I'm guessing this is what you are referring to. To answer your question, I think that some of these items can be found online. Others can be found at various train shows such as the Greenberg show at Hofstra University on October 23rd and 24th. But I would first ask your fellow co-workers where they purchased theirs. They may have a better answer.

by mark777

I found a "route of the Dashing Commuter" pin on ebay. I also once went to a street festival in the city and found a few other pins that I wear on my hat, one of them that says brakeman. Try ebay, sometimes you will find a few on it. Look it up under Long Island RR.

by Dave Keller

OK.

I thought you were referring to some new, railroad-issued pins.

I'm very familiar with these railfan-type pins.

The good-quality ones are made by Sundance.

They have a website from which you can order all those pins, with ONE shipping charge, whether you buy one pin or 100 pins. And it's a really cheap charge!

They have the "Dashing Dan" style as well as the "LIRR" in red Pennsy keystone. They also have the builders' plates, such as the Juniata K4s, Juniata G5s and the old, round Baldwin Locomotive Works.

Thanx for the clarification!

Dave Keller

by M1 9147

I hope at Greenberg that there is more LIRR stuff like what I saw at Greenberg's shows when it was at Stony Brook in April.

by bluebelly

I have a Dashing Dan pin that I bought from the gift shop at Valley RR in Essex,CT. You may notice that most if not all of us have pins of the Twin Towers in gold surrounded by a black ribbon with 9-11-01 on it in gold. These were given out by the company shortly after 9-11. They can be purchased on-line.