Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by mncommuter

I attended yesterday, and as usual, appreciated the time and energy Metro-North and its employees put into the event.

There's an article in today's NY Times about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/nyreg ... rains.html

by DutchRailnut

here is a photo site from an other railfan at subchat.
http://www.transitpicsgallery.com/galle ... nhouse2004

by Otto Vondrak

I dont like the new M-7 Metro-Man robot. I think the old M-1 (replete with two-tone M) Metro-Man could run over him like aluminum foil. Did kids in the 1960's have ACMU-Man? And what about those kids in 1910? Did they have a riveted S-motor man to warn of the dangers of playing around the third rail? (kidding)

I thought the open house was nice... the various departments always give away the weirdest things... oh and who ever thought that giving 1000 little kids toy whistles was a good idea? On that note- if you insist on bringing your small children to the event, HOLD THEIR HAND. I cant believe how many little kids I was tripping over- glad the parents wanted to bring them out, but PLEASE hold onto them! (same could be said for some "big kid" adults!)

It would have been nice to have some equipment spotted outside for the fans to shoot, instead of keeping it all inside... but it was still nice.

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

mncommuter the picture shows one of the many old shop turntables used to roll wheelsets to various tracks from the wheelshop. these days forklifts are used but in old days a wheelset for a coach or engine, yes even the steamers needed to be brought from one location to other by tracks in the floor and a two sandwich powered shop laborer and his buddy.

by Fred G

This was my second Metro North outing and once again, they really pulled out all the stops. I was really impressed with the shop and yard, and the short trip north was outstanding as well. Kudos to the folks who worked on this, and I'm sure the upcoming ACMU trip will be just as outstanding.

Here are some photos from Saturday.
http://www.transitgallery.com/showalbum ... 69&uuid=74

And some photos from the ride back to 125th Street
http://www.transitgallery.com/showalbum ... 68&uuid=74

by DJ

Fred, thanks for showing those photos. I'm modeling the Hudson Line from Rensselaer to NYP for MSTS.

I wanted to go to the open house, but I could not make it. I was interested in the layout of the area.

Your photos have shown me that my MSTS version is very accurate.

I'll share screenshots if anybody is interested.

by emfinite

Please post some screenshots, I would love to see.

by Robert Paniagua

Nice photos too. Especially the NYC 2012 engine and one of the old MBTA F10s, #0411 (unless it was another's unit).

by JoeG

I watched the thermite welding demo done by the track dept. I've seen pictures of this process, and read about it, but this was the first time I'd actually seen it done. I'd never gone to one of these open houses before, and I was very impressed by the whole event.

by Robert Paniagua

Oh wow, that must have been fun to see, glad they got the open house to see things that we "never usually get to see", in other words going behind the scenes.

Glad you all had fun there at Harmon Yards.

by SeldenJrFireman

FredG,
That amtrak with 715 on the front pulled in to Croton-Harmon at about 2:30-2:45. Got some good shots of it. I will post my photos this weekend.

Trivia:
What movie did Amtrak AMD103 #715 have a part in?
(hint:the movie took place in NY)

by Fred G

SeldenJrFireman wrote:FredG,
That amtrak with 715 on the front pulled in to Croton-Harmon at about 2:30-2:45. Got some good shots of it. I will post my photos this weekend.

Now that's what I call teamwork! Looking forward to seeing your photos.
  by Kurt

I must say the employees did another great job with the Open House this year. My wife and kids really enjoyed seeing the equipment and how the different parts work. The pride of the employees definately showed with all the displays, and the time taken with the younger kids ( and older ones too) in the crowds.

by M1 9147

I went with Emfinite, JoeLIRR, and KFRG to this event, and right after, I got pics from the Croton Deadline. Pics will follow shortly. I also got Amtrak, and back in Mineola in my home territory of the extra train (a DM set 515 5 cars, and 522) handling the crowds of Oysterfest for those Long Islanders. I was wearing the LIRRRMLI jacket, and my patches on my subway cap wearing it backwards with glasses.