Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Overtime

I'm interested in taking photos of trains while they are sitting idle in the railyards ( from public property of course). A few weeks ago I got some great shots of trains exiting and entering the North White Plains yard. My next venture is going up to the Brewster Yard. Is the yard located at the Brewster Station or Brewster North Station ( Southeast)? Can someone recommend some places where I can shoot from and good a good view of the yard? Do they keep the diesal engines up there?

by DutchRailnut

The yard is closest to SouthEast. and pictures can be taken from a bridge at north end of yard.
yes on weekends some diesels are kept in Brewster.

by Otto Vondrak

You can get some decent shots if you stand on the road bridge that spans the yard throat at Brewster (you can shoot through the fence or over the fence). Dutch, is the yard called Southeast or Put Junction? I've heard both used interchangably.

Overtime, where are you visiting from? Hope you have a telephoto lens, since you'll need it to get pictures of the trains. You wont see too many diesels, but yes, they are stored up there too.

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

The Brewster Yard is officialy Putnam Jct Yard, it stretches from Wye track to just south of Southeast station.
  by Overtime

Otto, I actually live in Yonkers, just north of the Mount Vernon West station. I can see the tracks from my front porch. I was just introduced to this site several weeks ago. I'm a semi-professional still photographer and I've already taken some pictures of the trains leaving and entering the North White Plains station, as well as some of the trains parked just North of the Mount Vernon West Station.
  by Mike Roque

Overtime wrote:Otto, I actually live in Yonkers, just north of the Mount Vernon West station. I can see the tracks from my front porch. I was just introduced to this site several weeks ago.
Hello, Overtime. Welcome to RAILROAD.NET!

I grew up right next to the Fleetwood train station, just north of you there...