• Half hour intervals?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by TrainPhotos

Are we ever going to have half hour service on RRD? I've heard it mentioned, and I was just curious about any further information on the issue.
  by Push&Pull Master

Half hour headways all day are planned for the CHE and the Norristown Line.
  by zebrasepta

Push/Pull Master wrote:Half hour headways all day are planned for the CHE and the Norristown Line.
I still don't get the reasoning for the 30 minute headway for the CHW line
Is it the capacity on the RDG side or was there a different reason?
  by TrainPhotos

The two lines that have nearby other options in norristown and chestnut hill? Wow, ok. And to think I was contemplating becoming a regular rider. Oh well.
  by zebrasepta

pretty sure that the RDG side would need a 3rd track somewhere either between Glendside or Jenkintown through Wayne Junction if you want 30 minute service on the West Trenton and the Warminster lines especially during the rush hour
i also don't know how willing SEPTA is wanting to pay Amtrak for having 30 minute trains on some PRR lines
  by MACTRAXX

TrainPhotos wrote:Are we ever going to have half hour service on RRD? I've heard it mentioned, and I was just curious about any further information on the issue.
TP: Half hourly service is available on both the Paoli and Lansdale-Doylestown Lines on weekdays...The title of your topic should be:
"Will more SEPTA Regional Rail lines offer half hourly service on weekdays?"
On weekends the Glenside-Jenkintown RDG trunk route offers half hourly service and S of Jenkintown three trains each hour -
and for that matter this service frequency is available every day...

MACTRAXX
  by TrainPhotos

I was referring to the whole system from end terminal stations to at least temple if not all the way thru to 30th. i'm not referring to small spots where and there which host trains from multiple lines. The few times i've taken the septa train, i ended up waiting a good 45 minutes if not more when changing lines.
  by Suburban Station

MACTRAXX wrote:
TrainPhotos wrote:Are we ever going to have half hour service on RRD? I've heard it mentioned, and I was just curious about any further information on the issue.
TP: Half hourly service is available on both the Paoli and Lansdale-Doylestown Lines on weekdays...The title of your topic should be:
On weekends the Glenside-Jenkintown RDG trunk route offers half hourly service and S of Jenkintown three trains each hour -

MACTRAXX
Half hourly service on weekends as well at least to lansdale, norristown, paoli (on sundays)
  by zebrasepta

Suburban Station wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:

MACTRAXX
Half hourly service on weekends as well at least to lansdale, norristown, paoli (on sundays)
you should check the schedules again
It's hourly service to Doylestown and trains don't end at Lansdale, Norristown is hourly and it's hourly to Malvern, and not Paoli on weekends
  by bikentransit

Why not 1/2 hourly service (Or better) on CH West and Fox Chase? It's the one route that never leaves the city and is relatively short so it could be covered quickly by several trains. The 90 minute headway on Sunday there is ridiculous.
  by CNJGeep

bikentransit wrote:Why not 1/2 hourly service (Or better) on CH West and Fox Chase? It's the one route that never leaves the city and is relatively short so it could be covered quickly by several trains. The 90 minute headway on Sunday there is ridiculous.
I doubt very, very strongly that Amtrak would like having g their railroad tied up every half hour for a dinky SEPTA train. They could pair Fox Chase with another line and make *that* half hourly, but I don't see Amtrak getting on board with half hourly CHW trains.
  by westernfalls

CNJGeep wrote: I doubt very, very strongly that Amtrak would like having their railroad tied up every half hour for a dinky SEPTA train.
.... but I don't see Amtrak getting on board with half hourly CHW trains.
Not until they negotiate a divorce between Zoo* and North Philadelphia, like what they did between Arsenal and Phil.
Or like they did with the CSX between Newtown Jct. and Cheltenham, or between Neshaminy Falls and Woodbourne and soon all the way to West Trenton.
*Bulldozers required.
  by SCB2525

westernfalls wrote:
CNJGeep wrote: I doubt very, very strongly that Amtrak would like having their railroad tied up every half hour for a dinky SEPTA train.
.... but I don't see Amtrak getting on board with half hourly CHW trains.
Not until they negotiate a divorce between Zoo* and North Philadelphia, like what they did between Arsenal and Phil.
Or like they did with the CSX between Newtown Jct. and Cheltenham, or between Neshaminy Falls and Woodbourne and soon all the way to West Trenton.
*Bulldozers required.
Easier said than done. A completely separate track could easily be built below 33rd and above Diamond but in between would require some very clever engineering. You'd also have to have a one track crossover move against traffic unless you somehow rerouted the Berry Track around the outside of track 4 while realigning track 4 to the current Tail Track alignment. A flyover would likely be more cost effective. OR the Swampoodle Connection.
  by Suburban Station

zebrasepta wrote: you should check the schedules again
It's hourly service to Doylestown and trains don't end at Lansdale, Norristown is hourly and it's hourly to Malvern, and not Paoli on weekends
I was saying it should be half hourly to lansdale (yes some trains do end at lansdale) and norristown. Sorry, malvern, not that it matters to the basic point
Last edited by Suburban Station on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Suburban Station

SCB2525 wrote: Easier said than done. A completely separate track could easily be built below 33rd and above Diamond but in between would require some very clever engineering. You'd also have to have a one track crossover move against traffic unless you somehow rerouted the Berry Track around the outside of track 4 while realigning track 4 to the current Tail Track alignment. A flyover would likely be more cost effective. OR the Swampoodle Connection.
half hourly service already exists on the chw at peak hour so we know it's possible. I believe the long term plan, and I could be mistaken, is to have trenton line trains use the north platform at Philadelphia exclusively while amtrak would use the southern platform. I believe I read this when reading about a proposed Zoo station (this project was mentioned as being required prior to the zoo station being built)